replacing inner cover with a fabric or plastic - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: replacing inner cover with a fabric or plastic

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will go with silver bubble wrap Reflectex.
    Thanks again

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You can even use cloth, but the problem is that propolis sticks to it too well. The plastic burlap feed sacks work well and don't get glued down too well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Here is a good video of classic ways now fabric/plactics are used.

As you watch along you can see how the keeper controls the opening by using two pieces of heavy cloths at once - one is being pull back gradually and the second is being rolled forward gradually.
    He keeps northern AMMs in Ural region of Russia and those bees are touchy - you don't want start cracking the boxes open and randomly tossing the boxes around - bad idea.
    You want to be able to close them up immediately at the first warning and heavy fabric works well for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhJntpjqDE

Here is another video of his (jump directly to ~7:00 to watch how he works the fabric covers to control the hive opening):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uECgmQcmMh0

As for me, fabric is a good way to control feisty bees in a way similar to interlocking TBs (without keeping bees in TBH).
    One benefit of a heavy fabric - it stays down better in a windy day; I hate plastics that way (they fly away at the worst possible moment).
    Last edited by GregV; 04-15-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    You can even use cloth, but the problem is that propolis sticks to it too well. The plastic burlap feed sacks work well and don't get glued down too well.
    As LJ noted, 3-4 small sticks/battens put across the top bars just under the fabric - the problem mostly solved (IF you have or care of the problem at all).
    This is a non-issue in summer at all as propolis is very pliable and you easily pill off the fabric as needed.
    You may only need those battens during cold season since propolis hardens - beeks commonly use them for overwintering.
    Last edited by GregV; 04-15-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

And for a bonus - watch how to very efficiently harvest propolis from a fabric cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZk20Gc7Zc

Still wondering what the advantage of a cloth cover is. Anyone? Seems like a pain to deal with, but always looking to learn. J

I think it may depend on where in the country you live. I went to a workshop and the presenter was from Canada and that was the method they used. When I (Kansas City area) used the canvas in place of the standard inter-cover; it provided a place for the small hive beetles to evade my bees and I wound up removing the canvas. Found out later that they don't have small hive beetles as a pest.

I use a piece of typar or feed bag over my top bars to keep my migratory lid from becoming glues on. In the winter that cover floats over my mountain camp feed to keep the bees from clustering in the feeder rim. They live longer down in the frames per Randy Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinmaine View Post
    Looking for suggestions, I want to replace customary inner cover with something like a canvas or plastic.
    Any suggestions of what and where to purchase
    Thanks
    These guys use canvas.
    https://youtu.be/BnjjULpVsDM

tckmet
    This was the presenter at the conference I talked about, if memory serves me correctly they don't have small hive beetles to contend with. They have great training videos. I love their website and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about beekeeping.

In the early 1980's one could buy (and still can) a white plastic inner cover. Bought 35 of them. Best investment in bee equipment I ever made. Still have them and use them on my now limited # of hives. OMTCW

Here it is on ebay.com ... and if that link doesn't work search for HEAVY DUTY CLEAR POLYTHENE 1000 GAUGE
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by ed3 View Post
    I think it may depend on where in the country you live. I went to a workshop and the presenter was from Canada and that was the method they used. When I (Kansas City area) used the canvas in place of the standard inter-cover; it provided a place for the small hive beetles to evade my bees and I wound up removing the canvas. Found out later that they don't have small hive beetles as a pest.
    You must have it folded or something, because I use heavy canvas and the SHB's cannot penetrate it, and I live in central Arkansas and we have plenty of the critters. Also, once it is propolised it is a very effective cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Still wondering what the advantage of a cloth cover is. Anyone? Seems like a pain to deal with, but always looking to learn. J
    OK, outside of benefits stated already above and below, here is one thing I see no one talking about .

Pyramid nest organization.

Just look up info about Vitvitsky hive and the theory behind it.
    https://warre.biobees.com/vitvitsky.htm
    Here is a modern version of it: http://www.rusuley.ru/glavnaya/bezvo...3%D0%BE-detail
    Obvious issue with Vitvitsky design - it is totally non-standard and a hassle because of it.

But - the soft plastic/fabric cover allows for the implementation of the same idea - easily.
    All using standard hive bodies and standard frames.
    Like so:
    PiramidNest.jpg

That Russian beek's video (LJ and myself referred to) demonstrates pretty much the same - the pyramid nest organization for early crop harvest in the conditions of cold and unstable spring.

Adding to what GregV said, another simple reason a cloth cover is nice, you can work part of the hive while leaving the rest covered and undisturbed.
    You can peek directly in the center of the box just by peeling up a side with minimal disturbance.

Super simple to use. Easy to replace/make. Cheap. Those reasons alone are advantage enough.
    - Nick - SW Michigan, Zone 6b (Lake Effect, ya know?). Extra Deep Horizontal Hives.

Cheap, I get. If I were buying a lot of hives I would consider it for sure. But once you have inner covers, they last forever. As for the other advantages, the advantages of an inner cover with a Langstroth outweigh them for me. If you have a testy hive, you can always put a cloth cover over it and expose a few frames at a time. I actually tried this method my first year but it was unwieldy for me. Towels and a feed bag picked up dirt and mulch from the ground, and the light feed bags would blow off the hive. I do live in a location where it is frequently windy, and I like working the hives on a windy day. When windy, they seem to ignore me. Now I use a cardboard nuc box as a "quiet box" to place frames during an inspection as suggested by Enjambres. If I need to leave a box open for a bit, I place a political sign on it with a stone to hold it down. J

Cheap, I get. ... J
    In short, you don't need fabric/plastic as disagreeable to your methods and needs.
    Not a problem.
    Everyone just gets back to their own toys.

doesn't the political sign just get them more agitated?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    No, they wrote Honeybee Democracy and are cool with differing opinions as long as it advances the common good. J

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    They start arguing amongst themselves and forget you're there. It's genius really.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast