replacing inner cover with a fabric or plastic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default replacing inner cover with a fabric or plastic

Looking for suggestions, I want to replace customary inner cover with something like a canvas or plastic.
    Any suggestions of what and where to purchase
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: replacing inner cover with a fabric or plastic

I used a propolis trap last year on one of my hives instead of an inner cover.

This year, I am using the silver bubble wrap Reflectex as an inner cover. Sam Comfort showed this at one of the national bee meetings I attended last year. Looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    This year, I am using the silver bubble wrap Reflectex as an inner cover. Sam Comfort showed this at one of the national bee meetings I attended last year. Looks promising.
    I find it works very well. I also use this for hive wraps and blocking off honey supers when doing OA vaporizations.
    Frank

Four mill plastic sheeting works, but it is awkward to handle in a wind. The sheeting with an edge taped to foam insulation board is easier to handle. You might try checking with awning or boat cover/top manufacturing shops for canvas materials.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    im trying the same this year with a few hives.
    Going to try a few single brood chamber hives too...keeps the hobby fun changing things up even if they are a failure.

I cut old chicken feed bags to fit, or use old political sign. Both free and you can cut a hole in them for a feeder then add an empty box on top.

The Honeybee Research Center at UoG uses #8 Duck canvas. Cut it just barely larger than the outside of the box.

https://youtu.be/Emlvx53iOZ4?list=PL...czJXY1Gs&t=149

I have been experimenting with a plexiglass inner cover on one hive after seeing them used on European hives on YouTube.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 04-14-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by rick54 View Post
    so is this $10 for 1 yard by 6 feet? Im trying to figure out how much to order.
    If those measurements are right then you could get 6 inner covers for $10 and thats super cheap!

What are the advantages to using fabric? I have seen it used (youtube) and my initial reaction was that it would be a pain to deal with. J

Big Duck Canvas is located near me. I dropped by their facility and picked up three yards of #8 Duck canvas to experiment with.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/number...-yard-natural/

$8.15/yd plus tax. 60" wide. (The usable width is actually 61".) So I can get three across cutting the inner covers a tad longer than the box dimension.

My first use for this canvas inner cover will be on a double 4-frame nuc. The width of the two boxes is approximately the same as a 10-frame box so my 10-frame telescoping cover works with this set-up. I am hoping the canvas will make a good seal at the tops of the boxes and cut off communication between the two boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    so is this $10 for 1 yard by 6 feet? Im trying to figure out how much to order.
    If those measurements are right then you could get 6 inner covers for $10 and thats super cheap!
    Hobby Lobby and Walmart also have duck canvas - probably also your local fabric store.
    Zone 6B

It would make upper entrances impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    You could add a shim with a upper entrance. I have some 3/4" shims (for patties, ect) and it would be easy to add an entrance to one.

I have 1/8" hardware cloth and a chunk on canvas on the top of my hives. This is what I have on the bottom of my quilt boxes, and the bees have sort of been covering it with propolis, but it has survived.

I use 250 micron poly sheet on my bait hives and mini-nucs ... and when I run out of rigid ones. Works well and costs about $0.30 each.
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

I've used old polytunnel (hoop tunnel ?) polythene sheeting in the past, and haven't been over-impressed with it - but - my criticisms have been that, a) it's got a mind of it's own in even a gentle breeze (however, this problem does cure itself after some propolis has been attached; and b) that it's not obvious how to install an overhead (inverted-jar) feeder without risking the meniscus coming into contact with the frame top-bars and thus causing a flood.

However, the last potential problem can very easily be cured by spacing the plastic away from the top bars, as seen in the following video (posted by Greg) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq3n2cJKBk such that an inverted jar feeder could easily be supported from underneath by a pair of thin battens.

Although I'm quite content to use rigid boards, having now seen the use of those spacing battens, if I should ever have the need for a quick 'fix', I'll now very happily reach for a roll of plastic sheet.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    simply drill a hole in the top brood box.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I use 250 micron poly sheet on my bait hives and mini-nucs ... and when I run out of rigid ones. Works well and costs about $0.30 each.
    i couldnt find this on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    The Honeybee Research Center at UoG uses #8 Duck canvas. Cut it just barely larger than the outside of the box.

https://youtu.be/Emlvx53iOZ4?list=PL...czJXY1Gs&t=149
    Thanks for this. I have seen a number of their videos but not this one. I wondered about the material as well.
    PS For those wondering about upper entrances….watch the first couple of minute of the video.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast