Bees in trap box

Default Bees in trap box

Found bees in trap box last night, lots of going and coming. Closed the entrance at dusk. I looked inside and only found six of seven bees. Put the trap back in place. This morning there were a lot of bees going and coming, this has gone on all day. How long should I leave the trap before looking again? What is the deal with the bees leaving last night.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees in trap box

Wait until you see pollen going in. This is usually a sign that there is a queen laying. You are seeing scout bees and may see them off and on for a while. They may not show up for a day and then be back the next... just bees doing their thing. They may or may not select your box depending on what is available, it's like you looking for an apartment. Patience... check back in a week and good luck. To help get relative answers go back to your profile and add in your location.

holmes,

Those are scout bees. We usually wait until it is obvious we have caught a swarm:

Lots of in/out traffic
    Often a large clump of honeybees hanging outside the box
    Obvious weight increase

Hope this helps!

We just caught our 5th-6th swarm a few minutes ago. But our swarm activity is much, much, much less this year here so far...

Caught both swarms in the same exact spot...

We have approximately 8-10 swarm traps up and for the last 48 hours everyone of them have been getting hit hard by the scout bees...

Soar

1.jpgSwarm 5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    holmes,

Those are scout bees. We usually wait until it is obvious we have caught a swarm:

Lots of in/out traffic
    Often a large clump of honeybees hanging outside the box
    Obvious weight increase

Hope this helps!

We just caught our 5th-6th swarm a few minutes ago. But our swarm activity is much, much, much less this year here so far...

Caught both swarms in the same exact spot...

We have approximately 8-10 swarm traps up and for the last 48 hours everyone of them have been getting hit hard by the scout bees...

Soar

1.jpgSwarm 5.jpg
    Are you using LGO or Swarm Commander?

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    This box had Lemon Grass Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    Spencer,

Against the advice of most professionals and extremely experienced beekeepers, I am using 4 swarm lures in every trap:

Swarm Commander
    Lemon grass oil
    Swarm Bait [Ebay]
    A wax swarm bait that comes in a small quarter size plastic container [Ebay].

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU USE MY METHOD! MANY BEEKEEPERS HERE WITH MUCH GREATER EXPERIENCE SEVERELY CRITICIZED THIS METHOD.

Good news is I came home today and caught swarm #7. I will continue to do exactly what appears to work for me!

BTW, this latest swarm was not in a box, but a tree....with no lure at all of course...

Swarm 7.jpg

soar,

I think "most professionals and extremely experienced beekeepers" should start listening to you.
    1. When you become blind to change, you become obsolete (one of the most essential life lessons from “Business Adventures” book).

Technical question - do you place your crazy lure concoction INSIDE or OUTSIDE of your traps?

I might increase the lure levels this year but I want do it OUTSIDE of the trap, I think.
    The insides of my traps are very well primed with propolise and I got plenty of old combs.
    I only want to attract the scouts just close enough to my traps so the scouts can check them out. I don't want the concoction inside.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

Well I was patient. The bee flurry continued for two weeks. Opened the trap box today and found it full of bees and new comb.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    soar,

I think "most professionals and extremely experienced beekeepers" should start listening to you.
    1. When you become blind to change, you become obsolete (one of the most essential life lessons from “Business Adventures” book).

Technical question - do you place your crazy lure concoction INSIDE or OUTSIDE of your traps?

I might increase the lure levels this year but I want do it OUTSIDE of the trap, I think.
    The insides of my traps are very well primed with propolise and I got plenty of old combs.
    I only want to attract the scouts just close enough to my traps so the scouts can check them out. I don't want the concoction inside.
    Greg,

So sorry, just saw your post now.

Well, I am not a professional or an extremely experienced beekeeper. To be honest with you, I am both a newbie and a professional wanna-bee.

I really would like to be able to think outside the box...some of the greatest discoveries were made by people who thought outside the box [and I am not trying to make great discoveries, simply trying to figure out what will work for us].

I usually [49/50 times] place the lure in three places:

1. On the inner rim of the hole on the front of the box.
    2. On a piece of tissue inside an open zip lock bag tacked to the inside back of the trap.
    3. On the inside of the top cover.

I do NOT place lure outside the trap...except for one occasion and that was last week. Due to the location of a very, very large swarm [near a ball field, school, etc.], I did spray one spray of lure on the top of the box after waiting one day because I wanted to trap and remove that monster swarm ASAP. It worked. When I went to work on Monday, the swarm was completely inside the box...

Last, as mentioned before, I do use 4 distinct and separate lures in every trap.

Hope this helps!

>Premier Bee Products

>Last, as mentioned before, I do use 4 distinct and separate lures in every trap.
    >Swarm Commander
    >Lemon grass oil
    >Swarm Bait [Ebay]
    >A wax swarm bait that comes in a small quarter size plastic container [Ebay].

But they are not distinct. They are actually all the same thing.

Every one I've seen is either directly lemongrass oil or it's a mixture of the separate active ingredients found in lemongrass oil, with only the the addition of Nerol in the Swarm Commander, which according to this doesn't matter:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...270.x/abstract

The constituents of Nasonov:
    1 geraniol (isomer of nerol)
    2 nerolic acid (isomer of geranic acid)
    3 (E)-citral (geranial)
    4 (Z)-citral (neral)
    5 geranic acid (isomer of nerolic acid)
    6 Nerol (isomer of geraniol)
    7 farnesol

The essential constituents of Nasonov for effects on bees:
    "A 1:1:1 mixture of geraniol + nerolic acid + (E)- and (Z)-citrals was as effective as a mixture of all the seven components in equal proportions"
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...270.x/abstract

3 (E)-citral (geranial)
    4 (Z)-citral (neral)

Lemongrass oil major components:
    3 (E)-citral (geranial)
    4 (Z)-citral (neral)
    5 geranic acid (isomer of nerolic acid)
    6 farnesol

http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-herbs/lemongrass.html

>Swarm Commander was created in a lab and has been synthesized from the 7 compounds that make up Nasanov.

Constituents of Lemon balm that are in Nasonov:
    2 (E)-citral (geranial)
    3 (Z)-citral (neral)
    4 Nerol (isomer of geraniol)

If you want to kick it up a notch, put some "Queen Juice" or Pseudo Queen in addition to the lemongrass oil. Just a little bit...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF