What do you do?

Thread: What do you do?

Default What do you do?

I had a hive 30 days ago and the bees were buzzing in the hive and by evening a large group had moved up to the top of the hive cover extension. They were there at 10 pm but the next morning they were gone and I had a qt plus of dead bees in front of the hive and still lots of bees in the hive. I thought the queen had gone back into the hive I did an inspection (I had been gone for 3 weeks Houston area) Couple of qc's that I saw but moved the best.
    Hive looked normal, lots honey and bees. I found a couple of queen cells and dropped them into a nuc with some bees, brood, and honey and I had a med supper 85% full of honey that I had stuck on couple of weeks ago.

I looked into the hive on Wednesday and found a little egg/brood action maybe 3 inches on a few places. On one frame I found a couple of queen cells open on about a 1/3 of a frame of egg action. I had this and about 2 other small 3" areas of larva action. Could this be a laying worker or?

I just do not know if I have a good queen in the big box and if the queen cells will be valid?

The only good news is my Baton Rogue q c from the above box a month ago had the 5 frames in the nuc full of honey or brood and the hive is working like crazy. I plan to drop another nuc box on top of this because I checked to of the frames and HAD beautiful near full egg/brood action..Bees are very gentle

Cannot decide what to do. 1 Give the big BR hive a chance to see if I have a viable queen that has hatched out or combine nuc into the big box.

Side Question : On the plywood nuc boxes with such a small opening do you usually add another hole on the back for better ventilation?

Honey flow in the Houston is just starting other that what all my local neighborhoods are growing all winter.

I do beekeeping for fun and really want to stay with two double deep hives and possibly a nuc for a spare. I have a buddy that will take any extras nucs later this summer.

Do I do another split from the calm nuc to get ready if the other queens do not work out or the BeeWeaver queen is as mean as her mother?

I have a post on my other hive, Bee weaver queen which has not produced like my Baton Rogue queen. From nitrile gloves to heavy gloves and heavy coveralls this spring. I have been stung more Since I took a look in February than all last year. This BW box looks to have just swarmed. Little brood but couple of frames with queen cells and two actually eating their way out. Left one opening up queen and placed the other in a nuc box along with couple more qc's. Next day the box is working away but still pissed. I plan to place another nuc box on the Baton rogue nuc since is is full.

Hope that some of you have some advice.

Do you wait these things out or go on and put this BR in the Good box and have a stand by growing??

Thanks, Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What do you do?

How much are the eggs and brood together or scattered? At first laying worker eggs and larvae are scattered. Later when there are a lot more laying workers, you start seeing multiple eggs and those are more solid because there are so many laying workers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF