The Importance of Regular Inspection - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Importance of Regular Inspection

Yes Greg, working the bees is very therapeutic. Helps me deal with the unpredictability of married life, 30 years this June. What one does with their bees and how they manage them is of no concern to others, but I do agree with Nancy in that if you choose to be a beekeeper, you owe the bees the best that you can give them consistant with your management objectives. To often you hear of an otherwise viable hive sucumbing to poor management.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the varied responses, and I wholeheartedly agree with most of what all of you are saying. I'm trying to get my beekeeping "mojo" back, and I think I need to get out in the yard more and live less in my headspace. I've missed beekeeping, and I've missed many in the community.

gww, so glad to see you are still beekeeping, and it's good to see you too. I've always thoroughly enjoyed your company here on beesource.

MB, I didn't mean to specifically point you out. Having read much of your work, I understand what you mean. It's a balance I'm trying to get back to. You're a huge reason I started beekeeping in the first place.

Greg, we've had many discussions and I always enjoy them. We're pretty like minded in many regards, and I think this post was a bit of a self-check on where I'm at this year. I'm hoping this will be your best year yet, and I know it won't discourage you one bit if it isn't. Keep on being you, man.

Enjambres, good to see you. You're probably the most knowledgeable voice here on Beesource in regard to bee management I've ever read. Your posts provide a wealth of knowledge, and I admire you taking the time to help so many folks who have had questions.

In any case, I'm glad to be back and I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences this year.
    Season 5. TF.

Inspections are stressful to bees. The purpose for the inspection needs to have a value to the beekeeper that exceeds the cost to the beekeeper of the stress to the bees and the inconvenience to the beekeeper. That value can be fun, education, or improved production if that floats your boat.
    David Matlock

I've killed bees with too much fussing, and killed them with not enough. Its all learning with a bit of acquired wisdom thrown in, and maybe that's what we should be after.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    Inspections are stressful to bees. The purpose for the inspection needs to have a value to the beekeeper that exceeds the cost to the beekeeper of the stress to the bees and the inconvenience to the beekeeper. That value can be fun, education, or improved production if that floats your boat.
    River,

I appreciate this reminder. This year I am training myself to use a "quiet box" during inspections. The couple of times I've used it, and remembered to keep open boxes covered, the bees have seemed much calmer. Using the smoker less, and getting in and out quickly helps to reduce stress as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    I've killed bees with too much fussing, and killed them with not enough. Its all learning with a bit of acquired wisdom thrown in, and maybe that's what we should be after.
    👍
    Season 5. TF.

Quote Originally Posted by thehackleguy View Post
    Good news is my wife's treatments worked! and she is currently cancer free and I'm back to beekeeping rather than bee-having
    Hackleguy: I am really glad to hear that your wife is cancer-free. Best of success in your beekeeping efforts this year!

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Helps me deal with the unpredictability of married life, 30 years this June.
    JW:

Congratulations to you and your wife on 30 years of marriage- this is quite an accomplishment.

Here's hoping the next 30 years are even better than the last 30- and best of success with your beekeeping this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    I killed a valuable queen last year.
    I did not mean it, I was just inspecting (for a good reason too - splitting)...
    With a bad result.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12