Frame spacing in a Warre hive

Default Frame spacing in a Warre hive

A new mentee of mine is getting his first bees this weekend and has 2 Warre hives he has built. He asked how to keep the frames properly spaced. I am not familiar enough with this hive design to provide an intelligent answer. It appears that the bars just lay in the top of the hive. I was thinking of making a spacer or using push pins. Anyone?

576638529.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frame spacing in a Warre hive

Jw
    I just nailed mine down with thin brads that are easy to pull out and break off if I want a frame out. Abby does cover it in his book which is free on the net.

http://www.users.callnetuk.com/~heaf...ng_for_all.pdf
    Around page 76.

I wonder how strong gluing down with wax would be.

Biggest problem would be when separating boxes from each other when there were places the bees did not leave bee space at the bottom of the comb.
    Good luck
    gww
    Ps When doing mine, I thought about using dowels through the center of the top bar into the rest.
    zone 5b

Thanks Glen, I had downloaded that manuscript over two yeas ago but never read it and did not remember having it. Doh. Going to go with the small finishing brads. Mentee is making the spacing tool shown tonight.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I recently 'recycled' a bunch of well-used Warre (Delon) Top Bars into Gallup Frames. Here's the first photo of the conversion sequence, where I've cut away the wire frames:

You should be able to make out the self-spacing ends which I made, and which worked well.

For plain Top Bars, some people cut slots into the ends of the Top Bars, then - having positioned them equally across the box - drive panel pins down through those slots into the rebate (rabbet), before cutting-off their heads.

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Topbars spaced on nails is a hassle. The nails bend and later are a nuisance. Fitting the topbar grooves onto the nails is a hassle. I took out the nails and bought a frame spacer from Bee Thinking, who is no more. This was just one of the reasons I decided that Warres are a hive to steer clear of. Some kind of spaced topbar like Little john shows is called for.

Should anyone else be tempted to make self-spacing Warre Top Bars - this is how I made them in the days before I built a table router (or owned any other kind of router):

These days I'd start with full-width battens and then table-router away just the central section, leaving the wider ends.

And, FWIW - those Top Bar have finally been recycled into Gallup Frames, the Top Bars of which will fit perfectly across a standard Warre Box:

I'm looking forward to seeing what the girls make of these during this coming season ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Glenn, LJ, and Ollie, thanks for the responses. I like the idea of self spacing bars and will talk to my guy about making them for the other four boxes. Meantime, we have bradded them in place. Also considered drilling a hole in the end and using a slighly larger nail as a peg.

These are what Im going to use in my future warre hives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beehive-Nar...229?nav=SEARCH

Slight update to the spacing problem. The guy cut a 3/8" deep kerf into the center of the end bar ear and drove a finishing nail through the slot. Top bars stay put and can be removed easily, for now.
    I love package installs for the entertainment provided. Watching the bees orient to a new hive is always inspiring. I prefer nucs for the simplicity, but they are not feasible with a Warre installation.