Gone for months

Thread: Gone for months

Default Gone for months

Newbee member. I deploy with the military and I have recently performed 2 splits and recovered 2 swarms..I am wondering how many excess boxes I should install while Iím on deployment to prevent another swarm and to give them room to grow? I used to have a friend that was also a beek, but sadly has moved away. So, basically my bees are alone until my return in about 100 days. Thanks for the opportunity to pick ur minds.

JB

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Gone for months

Right going into swarming season.

However many boxes you normally have on in 100 days from now, that's what you need to put on. However this alone probably will not prevent swarming as some management is usually also needed to prevent it.

But since there are no other options, you'll just have to heap on the boxes, make sure they have enough feed and that mites are dealt with, then see what's happening when you get back.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thank you. That’s pretty close to what I did. I guess I was just looking for a warm fuzzy on my actions. I wasn’t expecting the 2 additional swarms, so my equipment was a little short so I triple stacked a Nuc. Ha! Thanks again.

JB

All the best.

Should report back on your return, let's know how things turned out.

You should include your location in your profile. There may be a forum member close to you who would like to help out.

The dilemma is that too much comb to guard can cause issues. So if you give them foundationless frames in the excess space they will be less likely to get stressed trying to guard comb. I would say the maximum space (as a compromise between too much and too little) I would want to leave them would be about the equivalent of two or three ten frame deeps. In eight frame mediums that would be between four and six boxes. In ten frame mediums that would be between three and five boxes.

Obviously managing bees is the best way to insure you keep them in your boxes rather than the trees, but the bees will likely manage fine without you. On one occasion, I only saw mine once in 2 1/2 years and there were still bees when I got home.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
    Thank you. That’s pretty close to what I did. I guess I was just looking for a warm fuzzy on my actions. I wasn’t expecting the 2 additional swarms, so my equipment was a little short so I triple stacked a Nuc. Ha! Thanks again.

JB
    Hey Johnny,
    I am not sure 3 NUCs are enough for 100 days, that is only 15 frames. Do you have any one in your family of friend group that can check in 30,60,90 days? Lots can happen in 100 days. I would think 2 deeps (20) frames and a empty super or 2 of starter or foundationless frames would take you to 100 days.
    Hope they do ok for you.

GG

definitely add in your location. I think for one of our service members we should do all we can to get someone to help them out. I kinda doubt you're in my area as you are talking about swarms already. The other option might be to check at the local bee club to see if someone would be willing to help. Hope for the best either way and thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    The other option might be to check at the local bee club to see if someone would be willing to help.

This is what I was thinking, and what I would try. Any chance your friend is close enough you could move your hives to their place until you get back?

You could also check at the local bee club to see if someone wants to buy them off you before you deploy. . . .

Naomi

The way i read it, the triple stacked nuc was a swarm trap. Could be wrong though.

Thank you for all of the advice and support. Things did not turn out badly, after all. I am still deployed, but I had a friend return a week a ago and assess my hives condition. The 2 swarms that I recovered are both still doing well and have laying queens. One of my splits failed due to queenlessness for whatever reason. The original hives are booming like gang busters. The swarm trap that I placed in a tree near my hives is a waxed cardboard Nuc with 5 frames of old brood comb and empty foundation. It caught a swarm (that I believe my wife sent me a pic of in the tree that held the trap box) only 2 weeks after my departure and was packed out when my friend moved it into a hive box. To clarify the Nuc issue as it applies to room and comb, I actually triple stacked one Nuc (15 frames) and double stacked the another. The two splits that I performed prior to my departure were housed in an 8 frame deep each and topped with a super. The swarm trap that I placed in a tree near my hives is a waxed cardboard Nuc with 5 frames of old brood comb and empty foundation. So all in all, things turned out well. God clearly watches over mechanics and middle aged beekeepers. Ha! So, I went from 2 hives to 5, since I gifted the swarm capture to my friend for his assistance. Once again, thank you all.

JB