iPhone Microwaves Causes Absconding - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: iPhone Microwaves Causes Absconding

Interesting article, but it has the classic problem. Trying to use Science to explain a non science. Like you cannot measure the 4th or 5th dimension with a yard stick. A yard stick is 2nd dimension for 2 dimension measurements. I am not trying to argue and I do not know hardly any of the answers but I do know you cannot prove or disprove mental telepathy with a microphone for instance. And dousing will not be proven or dis proven with Science because it is not science. BTW if a cell phone really worked to repel bees One could write an App to maximize the needed wave form that chases bees. totally doable if we knew what the bees did not like. I have set my phone on the hive many times as I have a Flir. have never seen it chase bees out. You will never read how dousing is scientifically proven as the two "things" lie in different places/dimensions/realms. That much I do understand. Hopefully someone can find the way it works AND explain to to others. Some can teach , some can do, it is rare to find the same person able to do both. Humans have come a long way, As I recall in Salem we used to burn witches, and say if they were really a witch they would save them selves, in which case we would kill them for a witch. As I recall not many survived the fire. That was "old science", now we are so much more refined. Hey all happy Easter, regards
    GG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the chuckle, challenger!

Surely dousing could be proven or disproven by science, just by using basic scientific method. It would be as simple as proving or disproving gravity. IE, set up an experiment or series of experiments, Have some dousing experts do their thing, and check to see if they got it right, or if their results were closer to random.

Let's say it was proven to work. That would be different to proving how it works. Bit like gravity. There is plenty of evidence it works. But we do not know how it works. What is it between two planets that draws them together or sets them in orbit. Bottom line, we don't know. We have named it, gravity. But what it it? There are no little strings between things that pull them together, nothing we can see or detect. We do not know what it is, we just accept that it works.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I tried it with my iPhone although it was dangerous it worked.

LOL you tested gravity with your iphone? Yup sounds dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    There are many mysteries we humans have yet to understand and master, we only use 20% of our brains, some day when we hit 80% wild things will be common place.
    This one is a myth. It was thought up by the self improvement industry, the figure commonly quoted is we only use 10% of our brain, and the quote is variously attributed to Einstein or some other prominant figure.

The reason they quote it is to tell us that if we just attend their seminars and give them lots of money, they will tell us how to access the other 90% of our brain and then amazing things will happen.

However brain scans have shown that most people use all their brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Surely dousing could be proven or disproven by science, just by using basic scientific method. It would be as simple as proving or disproving gravity.
    Having been raised in a 'hard science' environment, I was the world's greatest skeptic until the day I actually tried dousing. 'Gobsmacked' is the only word I can use to describe the experience. There was no way I could have influenced the behaviour of the 'divining rods' (at least nothing that was obvious), and the car park I was searching over had a Tarmac (bitumen) coated surface and was thus completely uniform in appearance - hence it provided no 'clues' for the vein of lead ore which was buried beneath it and which was shown to me afterwards on a geological survey map. A mind-blowing experience.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been investigated further, as you suggest - my guess is that it's a phenomenon related to the solar wind which causes atmospheric lights near both of the Earth's poles, and which are most likely connected together via a 'skin effect' over the surface of our planet - as the objects normally searched for are electrically conductive (water, pipes, metallic ores etc).
    But - I can offer no hint of an explanation as to why hazel twigs work - my experience was using L-shaped brazing rods.

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Same here. I thought dousing was a load of hogwash until i visited a friend who had just had a well driller in who doused to find where to drill. As we walked around we found his dousing wire and i tried it. The other guy led me around and the wire gave signals that were in the same places the other guy had found, my buddy did not tell me where they were he just wanted to see if it would work. So I don't know what it means, but i know something happens.

But my skeptisism, and tin hat meme, was about the actual thread topic, being a little chip you can add to your iphone to stop it causing bees to desert their hive. I'm still a non believer in that. Not just cos I'm a natural skeptic, but because of evidence. Which is, that plenty beekeepers work bees with an iphone in their pocket and do not have bees absconding.

I don't own an iphone, but could i ask that someone who does, try the experiment (put an iphone on a hive) then report back, so we can put this matter to rest?

But the thread topic has since changed to just about anything paranormal. My own position on dousing is I believe that for some people the rods do move. I don't know why, and I don't know if it means what the people think it means.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-06-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Can also relate a personal experience about this. There used to be a rather oddball guy in my area who ran a hive rental business. He would douse the persons property to find the best spot to put the hives and as a result some of the hives were in pretty strange places. I was the area AFB inspector and inspected this guys hives and he had a lot of AFB. I called him and he denied they had AFB. Come and have a look, i said, and told him to meet me at a particular site. He told me he would come, but said he had just checked those ones and could assure me they were not "sick", as he put it.

So i met him, and he again insisted the bees were fine. So i asked how he did his checks, and he showed me. Didn't even open the hive. Just held his dousing rod over it and asked the bees if they were well. The rod didn't move, so far as he was concerned, the bees were well. Yes, true story.

Quote Originally Posted by rick54 View Post
    Talking with an acquaintance, he told me that if you were to place your iPhone on the top of your hive, it would cause the bees to immediately start absconding from the hive. He said that half the bees that left would return after a few hours, or you could immediately remove the phone to stop the absconding.
    Kinda wishing it would actually work, would certainly make collecting package bees a lot easier LOL

I don't own an iphone, but could i ask that someone who does, try the experiment (put an iphone on a hive) then report back, so we can put this matter to rest

Inadvertently I already have. If I get a service call when working hives, Iíll put it on speaker and set it on the hive top to next to me, sometimes up to 5/10 minutes. To date, no absconds lol.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Kinda wishing it would actually work, would certainly make collecting package bees a lot easier LOL
    This would depend on several things. If In a call the phone is "transmitting" makes a difference transmitting VRS listening only. Also when you have less bars 1 or 2 vrs all bars the phone increases transmit power. So also what is the reception that would drive the intensity of the transmission? As well the distance from the phone to the bee cluster, so if you just added 2 supers and they are mostly empty, the distance would greatly reduce the EMF or what ever is the cause. Next is the lid wood only or covered in Metal.......

IF rick54 could add some detail, it would help. IMO laying a phone on the hive is not going to cause an Abscond, or we would see 35 versions of this on YouTube
    GG

This would be bad news for the Bee Health Guru App. if true.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    This would be bad news for the Bee Health Guru App. if true.

Alex
    Would need to program " Bees leaving, please remove Phone" as one of the "modes" we are testing for.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Crofter,
    Unlike rick54, I totally lost it when I read your post:
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Yikes I was reposting something that I already posted earlier in this thread
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    This would depend on several things. If In a call the phone is "transmitting" makes a difference transmitting VRS listening only.
    Thing is, the OP made no mention of transmitting or anything else. The claim was very simple. You put an iphone on the hive lid, and the bees immediately start to abscond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    I use an iPhone with the Bee Guru app, the phone is placed in the entrance for a minute. I carry it with me, nothing happens with the bees.
    Well there we have it, nothing happens to the bees.

Although to be completely fair to the claims in the opening post, the experiment should be exactly as per the claims made, the phone should be put on the lid. If someone can do that and the bees do not immediately start to abscond, we have our definative answer.

I do put my iphone on the lid, and sometimes forget where it is, still no absconding.
    Proverbs 16:24

I do put my iphone on the lid, and sometimes forget where it is, still no absconding.
    with me it is my frame grabber, lost and found 3 or 4 this summer.

Thank you Cloverdale, we have our answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123