Swarm Behavior: Bees massing at entrance- EXTRA BEES?

Default Swarm Behavior: Bees massing at entrance- EXTRA BEES?

Hi,

I was wondering about swarm behavior this time of year.

When you begin to see bees massing about the front entrance after hours, do you guys think these are the EXTRA bees that are crowding the hive?

I split my hives last week so there are no queens in these hives and they are exhibiting swarm behavior anyway which to me is puzzling.

Are these the extra bees?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm Behavior: Bees massing at entrance- EXTRA BEES?

They are bearding. That does not mean they are swarming. It also doesn't mean they are NOT swarming. It does mean it's a strong hive.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you MB. Love your book! It is a strong hive, all 3 made it through the winter easily and I reverse split on March 29th inhopes that they won't swarm...I do this every year...Every year is different. Thank you for your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    They are bearding. That does not mean they are swarming. It also doesn't mean they are NOT swarming. It does mean it's a strong hive.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding

I have a strong hive doing the same. Make sure the queen has room to lay (open the brood nest) If the brood box is full of nectar/honey add a super or two. Go back to your profile and add your location so answers will be more relative.