Proximity to school and other safety perimeter question

Default Proximity to school and other safety perimeter question

So I've been struck with an interest in setting up an apiary in my back yard. My local bylaws would permit a maximum of two colonies and require a solid 6ft minimum fence.

I have a 50x150ft corner lot which unfortunately has an elementary school across the street. (Hive and fence would be hidden from sight, but would be roughly 70ft from the playground)

Would it be reckless or irresponsible to locate a hive in my back yard?

Second thought - my wife has a small dog. How much buffer would you recommend setting up the fence for so that bees don't feel that she's a risk to the hive?

Many thanks for the thought

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Proximity to school and other safety perimeter question

Once the bees get overhead they stay there. If you have something that gets the bees airborn (six foot solid fence) they will not even be noticeable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Would a 10 x 10 chain link fence with slated fence boards work? There are many schools incorporating bee hives on their property

Yes, you probably dont even need the slats . The bees do not try to fly through my deck railing, they always fly up and over.

Many thanks for the thought! I would like the chain link option, though unfortunately, my local bylaw stipulates "a solid 1.8m high fence...".

I was just thinking of slats or slated fence to go with code

Out of sight is the best option IMHO, no sense asking for a meet and greet with a local Chicken Little complex.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    Out of sight is the best option IMHO, no sense asking for a meet and greet with a local Chicken Little complex.
    If your referring to the school I was not suggesting that, simply stating that schools have them so he should be able to

Sorry, comment wasn't addressed toward any post. It's just areas with high traffic can frequently have someone overreacting on what maybe unfounded or misinformed fears. Unfortunately bees, snakes, some dog breeds, etc can have strong stigmas/fears associated with their mere presence; my point was to keep any visual stimuli as minimal as possible. An out of sight, out of mind approach.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I think it's a good idea to keep the people out of sight of the guard bees as well. So I would make the fence more solid than open. I would use the slats.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by edzkoda View Post
    If your referring to the school I was not suggesting that, simply stating that schools have them so he should be able to
    I was looking into the option of putting swarm traps on local campuses k-12. Florida has prohibited beehives on campus.

Go with a solid fence. It will be worth the investment to not have to deal with someone who wants to control your hobby.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Florida has prohibited beehives on campus.
    I was really surprised the other weekend when I was on the Univ of MA Amherst campus and came upon two hives in a garden next to one of the dining commons. Great to see.

Did AHB figure into the FL ban or was it just the usual bee fears?

Quote Originally Posted by Beepah View Post
    I was really surprised the other weekend when I was on the Univ of MA Amherst campus and came upon two hives in a garden next to one of the dining commons. Great to see.

Did AHB figure into the FL ban or was it just the usual bee fears?
    I don't know the reason or when the law was enacted. I suspect it is the fear of allergies and lawsuits. K-12 has different limits than higher education.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Good thought! I think it's a good idea to keep the people out of sight of the guard bees as well.

My husband built a "solid fence" around mine with 4x4 posts, lattice and the synthetic burlap shade cloth. Neighbor behind us was not happy with the bees, now she can't see them. I'm sure this fabric would work on a chain link fence as well.
    IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg