Queenlees hive

Thread: Queenlees hive

Default Queenlees hive

Hello,
    I have come out of winter with what I thought was a good looking hive, lots of action at the entrance pollen being brought in ect., but when I did a hive inspection I realized my colony was queenless as I found plenty of honey, pollen and bees but no eggs, no brood, no larvae. Now from what I have gather from hours of searching and reading upon this subject it seems I am in a pickle. I have only one hive so I have no resources to draw from, such as frames of eggs larvae, brood ect to keep the hive tricked into thinking there is still a queen around. My uncle does have hives near by but he has Carniolan and Russian bees. What I need to know is it possible to use frames from his hive? If so do they need to include bees or just the frames of needed eggs, brood ect? I'm just trying to do my best to hold on here till I can get a new queen into this hive...if even possible at this point.

And yes my hive did create a single queen cell but it was never capped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queenlees hive

Location? A frame of open brood including eggs may get you a new queen cell, but if drones are not available yet in your area, it won't do any good. A frame of capped brood will help if you are going to be purchasing a mated queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Are you very sure you are queenless? The reason I ask is that as a general rule, if there is pollen being carried in, there is brood being reared. No brood, no pollen. Seeing pollen coming in from outside is generally a good sign with one exception. You could have a laying worker...brood being reared, pollen coming in to feed it. That’s not a good thing, especially when you have only one hive to work with.

Yes, get a frame containing fresh eggs from your uncle. The breed he has doesn’t matter. Put it in the hive and reinspect that frame in about 7-10 days. If they have built queen cells, you were queenless. If they don’t you probably have a queen in there or a laying worker.

If you transport a frame, keep it warm and humid. How far do you need to travel?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Location? A frame of open brood including eggs may get you a new queen cell, but if drones are not available yet in your area, it won't do any good. A frame of capped brood will help if you are going to be purchasing a mated queen.
    Thank you for the quick reply, I am located in central WV, today the temps were in the upper 70s, as well as the next few days. I failed to include that I have a new mated queen ordered for shipment on the 16th. and my Bees are Italian.

Reply to JadeGuppy,

If i travel to my Uncles hives by 4wheeler (too bumpy?) just 1mile, by truck or car 4 miles. So 15 minutes at the most by hardtop road.

Have not got the hang of this forums posting style....

I did a thorough inspection a week ago and again today. I saw no Queen or any eggs brood ect. So if I get a frame from my Uncle do I need to shake off all bees from the frame?
    Thank you.

You can do it either way. (Not sure if everyone will agree with me, but I've done it several times without issues. Bees could help keep the temp up.) Smoke the hive. Just be sure that you don't take his queen with you.

Depends on how bumpy you drive.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida