Weather proof bottom board

Default Weather proof bottom board

I have some 5/4 trex boards laying around that were used for another project and after 10 years there like brand new still , I want to make bottom boards from them that won't rot and wont ever need painting , is there any possibility of any gassing of fumes that could hurt the bee's . Initially I was thinking to make only the frame rails from the trex with a dado to slide 3/4'' cypress boards into or if they make a 3/4 squared board in trex I could do that too . Any ideas out there on other materials i could use for the flat surface and is there any chance of hurting the bee's from this material .

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Weather proof bottom board

I made some screened BB from trex over 5 yrs ago and they are holding up very well.
    Predrill any screws going into the sides as the material tends to blow out

sounds good Jack thanks for the tip

I've used the composite decking material for bottom boards for about five years. Three of them side by side are the right width. They are heavy and very durable. I've not noticed any I'll effects

Great, so are you running your inner boards the long way instead of across like this one inside a dado , I was thinking of using white cedar for the bottom and the trex for the frame , since they would be in a dado if the outer board thats exposed to the weather ever rotted it would be easy to slide it out and replace it but still not as durable as the trex

https://www.perfectbee.com/store/hiv...d-bottom-board

Yes, I'm running the boards long ways instead of across, and tying them together underneath with boards. I have cut dado joints in the composite material and used as supports for the bottom boards in nucs. Someone famous once said, use what you have

I am having some PVC trim installed and am making bottom boards from the scraps. I think off-gassing, if any, would be insignificant. I agree, use what you have, but PVC/Trek is so costly, I like your idea of using a cheaper material for the bottom. Its the rails that rot, so save the Trex for those unless you just have a few hives. You could use almost anything for the bottoms, but think you need to use material that is 3/4" min so you have something to screw the rails into. I have some 1/4 PVC sheeting and am thinking about using that for some bottoms and gluing it in with pvc cement, but I am hesitating. J

I agree need a min. of 5/8'' I was thinking , but there is some 1/2'' trim out there that doesn't rot but not sure of the integrity for running screws . Also trying to see if there is any reasonable white cedar or redwood available any where but not sure how weather proof they are.

will cedar hold up very long if its not painted or will it start to rot in 3 or 4 years , need some ideas on something for the bottom part that wont rot thats 5/8 to 3/4 thick

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    will cedar hold up very long if its not painted or will it start to rot in 3 or 4 years , need some ideas on something for the bottom part that wont rot thats 5/8 to 3/4 thick
    I use all cedar, no paint. It lasts.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

Riverderwent do you treat your cedar with anything such as tong oil or nothing at all

For me, making sure the hive is tilted slightly forward is an important point. I didn't think a lot about it until I switched from SBB back to solids. Hives that "looked" ok but had really settled a little in the wrong direction pooled water....usually in one of the back corners. This spring I adjusted all the hives as soon as the ground thawed out sufficiently. Even with rot resistant wood, pooled water will do damage over time.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I agree , all of my hives are tilted forward to keep water out but im still getting some rot even after one coat of good quality primer and two coats of paint , the landing is exposed to the weather and it goes first . The bottom boards are the most vulnerable my box's and top covers are in new condition and should last a very long time now if I could find the right materials to build a bottom board that would last and not cost 50.00 !!!! Finding cypress or cedar in my area isn't easy but im still looking .

I found some 1x6x8 cedar boards today for the bottom material should i give them coat of tongue oil or let them go untreated

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Riverderwent do you treat your cedar with anything such as tong oil or nothing at all
    Nothing at all.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

When using Trex for the SBB, are any adhesives used or is it held together with only screws?
    Thanks!