Homemade Supplement for nectar?

Default Homemade Supplement for nectar?

Interested in what recipes y’all have for Homemade Honey B Well. Planning on cooking 5 gallons of sugar water today. This is my first season and haven’t done enough research on this. My wife has an abundance of essential oils. Just curious what y’all have done?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Homemade Supplement for nectar?

Sugar water.... that's it. Don't add any essential oils. There is lots of research to show detrimental effects on brood. Just give them 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.

Ya, just do the sugar. Add a couple glugs (maybe a 1/4 cup) of apple cider vinegar to retard spoilage if your not going to use it right away.
    Rod

The smells can lead to robbing. Essential oils get more thumbs down than thumbs up. Using essential oils is mostly for the benefit of the people promoting it!
    Frank

Hmmm. Well after research and y’all comments I may just go without. Didn’t realize the amount of sugar needed to buy.

Unless you have enough hives to distribute 5 gallons of syrup immediately, I suggest just mixing up what you can use in a day or two. And to simplify the process, there isn't a need to actually cook it. Just use hot water straight from the tap. If not all the sugar dissolves, just adjust your sugar : water ratio (use say, 5:3 instead of 2:1, etc) until the sugar does dissolve. The exact ratio is not critical.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I'm not a fan myself of the essential oils we have tried in the past. We do use some lemongrass in the pollen patty mix we use, but other than that we don't use it.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Unless you have enough hives to distribute 5 gallons of syrup immediately, I suggest just mixing up what you can use in a day or two. And to simplify the process, there isn't a need to actually cook it. Just use hot water straight from the tap. If not all the sugar dissolves, just adjust your sugar : water ratio (use say, 5:3 instead of 2:1, etc) until the sugar does dissolve. The exact ratio is not critical.
    I am unable to check my hives as frequently as some. I have some Mann Lake top feeders that hold 2.5 G.