multiple swarms

Thread: multiple swarms

Default multiple swarms

good morning (Amman time). I am a novice beekeeper and my neighbor, who is also a novice beekeeper, noticed five swarms across the street from his hive. As this is new to all of us, does each swarm contain a queen? I was able to get 3.5 of the swarms into one box. The remaining half swarm dissipated when we were cutting the branch the it all fell to the ground. The remaining cluster was too high in a tree, so we left it. I only have video of the swarms, so I cannot upload them to this forum. I have posted some of them on Facebook on the Beehadist Honey page (https://www.facebook.com/beehadisthoney/)

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: multiple swarms

How many hives do you have between the 2 of you and in the area? If you have more than 5 hives it may be swarms from multiple hives and each one may have a mated queen. If you only have a few hives (less than 5, probably more like 10+) hives, each swarm should still have a queen, but they may not be mated. I don't think all of the hives would swarm on the same day, but a few on the same day is possible with the right conditions. It is also possible that a less than 5 hives thru multiple swarms on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    How many hives do you have between the 2 of you and in the area? If you have more than 5 hives it may be swarms from multiple hives and each one may have a mated queen. If you only have a few hives (less than 5, probably more like 10+) hives, each swarm should still have a queen, but they may not be mated. I don't think all of the hives would swarm on the same day, but a few on the same day is possible with the right conditions. It is also possible that a less than 5 hives thru multiple swarms on the same day.
    Thanks for the response. to my knowledge, there are only three hives (his two and my one) in the area. The swarm(s) have been there for about a week (I just returned from the US so this was my first opportunity to collect). We live about 1.5 miles apart so there could be other hives, but we do not know of any. Another friend who had a hive lives near me (other direction) but his bees abandoned their hive. I guess these could be that hive, but I doubt it. The plus side is now I have two hives, so hopefully there is a queen and my existing hive can help if there is a non-mated queen in the "new" hive. hopefully there are not more than one queen in the new box. I guess I will find out tomorrow afternoon when I open the front "gate" and see what happens.

Hi, Burr -- from what I hear, every swarm has a queen; generally, it's the old queen, but they can -- at times -- contain virgin queens. I had a hive swarm lately, and it split (!); I was told that possibly that swarm had an old queen and a virgin queen. Also, with "casts" (after-swarms), the queens, I think, would have to be virgin [new] ones.

thanks for the response. When I open the hive a few days after catching the swarms, there were two distinct groups in the box, one on each corner. One group was significantly larger than the other. I opened the hive again yesterday to install the remaining frames and there was only one group (that I could see). They were all over the two initial frames and had started making burr comb. Looking in today, they are very active and consumed the two cups of sugar water i placed in front of the hive yesterday. Actually the new hive is much more active than my original one... as long as I get some honey this year, I will be happy.

More pics and images (https://www.facebook.com/beehadisthoney/)

Thanks again for the reply.