How to Move Split to Nearby Hive

Default How to Move Split to Nearby Hive

Hi,

I have a hive that I think I'll be able to split in the next couple of weeks, and the hive that I'd like to put them into is only about 4ft away, and oriented in the same direction. I'm curious if this is too close, and if the workers that are heading out to forage will just go back into the original hive? Maybe that's okay?

I do have a nuc that I can put them in first if that would help. Also, not sure if it matters, but these are TBHs, and they do not look the same.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to Move Split to Nearby Hive

Most of the foragers will go back. Shake in plenty of bees off of brood comb to make sure you have enough nurse bees remaining. If these were langs, I say swap locations but not so easy with a tbh.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Can you divide your existing hive into two with a tight follower board? Walk away without the away.
    Keeps your queen starter well supplied until you move your laying queen with brood frames over.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Most of the foragers will go back. Shake in plenty of bees off of brood comb to make sure you have enough nurse bees remaining. If these were langs, I say swap locations but not so easy with a tbh.
    I'd rather split them into a new hive instead of dividing the one hive. I'll give it a go. thanks.