Watching them leave - a short personal video

Default Watching them leave - a short personal video

As my queens just arrived I was in the process of making a queen bank and then planning to start splitting hives as part of my swarm management….such as it is. Sadly, for this one hive, I was too late.
    https://youtu.be/MsXHFSoO6I4
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Watching them leave - a short personal video

Were you able to collect them?
    ks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_ks View Post
    Were you able to collect them?
    Sadly, no. They came to a rest way too high to reach.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Pretty cool, sorry they got away though. You must be doing somethings right to have strong colonies. My focus this year is on swarm prevention without splitting, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the video.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    My focus this year is on swarm prevention without splitting, we'll see how it goes.
    Good luck!
    Splitting alone doesn’t do it…..unless I split them into oblivion. The real solution is to requeen those hives. If I can replace the old queen with a young, newly mated queen….job done! That will keep them in the hive for the rest of the season……unless I allow them to get grossly overcrowded.

Well, thanks....., I guess.

I am too new at this to feel qualified to sell nucs except to a friend who is also my doctor who needs new bees every year to keep his varroa colony healthy. I'm adding supers early and opening up the brood nest, hope it helps. I lost two swarms last year, and like you in the video it's sad to watch them leave but pretty cool when you're there for it. I saw both mine leave, one did a short layover in a spruce way too tall for me to reach and the other just blew town. I don't want more colonies and perhaps in a couple more years of beekeeping I'll feel qualified to sell nucs. I've got 2 bloodlines I really like, nice quiet clusters in the winter and strong build up in the spring, hoping they keep those traits as I do the splits to perpetuate them.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Boy that stinks. I have been there more times than I'd like to admit.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

You had the opportunity to make a really cool video if you had gotten closer and caught the queen leaving. maybe next time
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Hopefully, Dan won't have a "next time".
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    maybe next time [IMG]file:///C:\Users\harri\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Hopefully, Dan won't have a "next time".
    There are sure to be more.
    My swarm management stinks. I get about a third of them truly under control before they fly to coop. The other two thirds….not so much.
    For whatever it is worth, I currently have two swarms in my traps. Moved in within the past 24 hours. Probably from my own hives. The one that flew in the video had a red marked queen. I'll have to take a look at those swarms.