Blooms in Georgia

Default Blooms in Georgia

Located in piedmont Georgia, between Atlanta and Athens.

I know there is a pinned “Bloom Date” thread but it’s just not what I’m seeing. The spring flow seems exceptionally slow getting started this year. I have not seen much clover (crimson or white) in bloom at all. My blackberry bushes are still budding and the leaves on the tulip poplar are just opening.

Basically all I’ve really seen in bloom is pear, apple, cherry and dogwood. We’ve had several frosts in the last few weeks and I’m wondering if everyone else is observing this late start to the flow as well.
    Will the clover come out in full bloom or did the frost knock it back?

This year just seems slower getting started than in years past. Just wanted to see what others are observing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Blooms in Georgia

Wisteria is blooming. Drove to Athens yesterday and saw plenty in bloom along the drive. Drove to Lawrenceville and Snellville today and saw wisteria blooming in that area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    Wisteria is blooming. Drove to Athens yesterday and saw plenty in bloom along the drive. Drove to Lawrenceville and Snellville today and saw wisteria blooming in that area as well.
    Yea I noticed Wisteria yesterday as well. I also saw some honey suckles as I walked my property today. I looked back on some of my notes from years past and nothing is even close.

I guess I’m concerned that the late frost we had killed a lot of blooms, expecially the clover.

One of the guys around here that is “supposed to know” said most of the honey is produced from clover, blackberry, tulip poplar, and privet. I guess I’m just concerned I missed out on one of them.

Default Re: Blooms in Georgia

I am over is SC on about the same latitude. To me it is more of an observation that the season is more on track vs last several years being two or three weeks ahead of schedule. I have seen no white wax to amount to anything yet and I usually see white wax the first or second week of April (a couple weeks after green up my white was is usually around Masters Week) in an on tack year. South of me about 20 miles is beginning to start a flow. I usually see blackberry around second week of April if my memory serves me right (I have dates recorded but not my memory ) Of course dew berry has bloomed. Wisteria is blooming, wild cherry is poping, ornamental trees blooming, red bud is in bloom, and yes blackberry and tulip popular account for most of our flow and a little further south west holly in the more sandy areas. Followed by some sparkleberry in May in the sandy areas in clear cuts and sandy bank roadsides.

So I am hoping it is a good sign vs bad....
    sc-bee

SC, that makes sense. I guess the last few years were a little ahead of schedule and this year is a little behind.