Frame spacing?

Thread: Frame spacing?

Default Frame spacing?

Can you run, say, 11 frames in the brood boxes and 9 in the honey supers without too much trouble? If you want to run 11, do you have to cut a bunch of frames down, or could you, say, shave a bit off 1 - 3 frames in the middle, and just squish the others as close as they can go? Does anyone do this?

Naomi

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frame spacing?

To get 11 frames in you need to gain about an inch or slightly more. If you want the frames to all be the same (which is the most convenient in the long run) then shave them down to 1 1/4" (take 1/16" off each side). You can easily space them out to 9 frame sin the supers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Alas, Mr. Bush, I'm lazy. Do you know of anyone selling 1.25 inch foundationless frames?

Naomi

Also -- what are you thoughts on just packing those middle 6 - 8 frames as tight as they'll go without cutting them town (to encourage smaller brood comb), and giving more space to the outside ones (where they'll presumably be putting honey)?

Naomi

Can't bring them closer, physically impossible. I make my own frames which would allow 1.25" spacing without messing up the bee space on the top bars.

>1.25 inch foundationless frames?

https://www.forestbees.com/beekeeping-store
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    Can't bring them closer, physically impossible. I make my own frames which would allow 1.25" spacing without messing up the bee space on the top bars.
    Here is the thread where I have posted my frame design: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...sing-2x-lumber

When I was neck deep in the small cell fantasy, I ran all my frames thru a table saw set at 1 1/4". I made an index mark and always face them the same way. Small cell did nothing to slow down the varroa but I did indeed like the results of a dense brood nest where more cells were located in a smaller area and buildup was faster.

As far as supers, I like running eight frames in my ten frame boxes. Makes extracting faster as I almost never have to use a capping scratcher. You better be set up to handle a lot of cappings!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    When I was neck deep in the small cell fantasy, I ran all my frames thru a table saw set at 1 1/4". I made an index mark and always face them the same way. Small cell did nothing to slow down the varroa but I did indeed like the results of a dense brood nest where more cells were located in a smaller area and buildup was faster.

As far as supers, I like running eight frames in my ten frame boxes. Makes extracting faster as I almost never have to use a capping scratcher. You better be set up to handle a lot of cappings!
    Vance, do you hand space those 8 frames in the super or do you use a spacer for that. I'd love to skip the scratcher!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

A calibrated thumb or finger and eyeball. I suppose a spacer board with teeth would work but I would put it with 8 out of ten of my last hive tools. I absolutely detest the guides people nail on the frame rest. How do you clean the frame rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    A calibrated thumb or finger and eyeball. I suppose a spacer board with teeth would work but I would put it with 8 out of ten of my last hive tools. I absolutely detest the guides people nail on the frame rest. How do you clean the frame rest!
    I was hoping you'd say that!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"