5 frame nuc entrance? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 5 frame nuc entrance?

Just seems there is a need for both if you are serious. One box with fixed bottom for grabbing swarms and quick splits and the other for a more permanent 5 frame box with removable box and cut to fit a vap. Probably1" or 3/4" breathing holes in the back for each box. I like 1/8 mesh with screen wire between the mesh and the box on the inside. this seems to keep SHB out better than having a back door for them to slip thru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I make my nucs to the same design as my hives so all the bottoms are separate and the entrance is the same as a hive with a bottom board. A few of the bottoms have been screwed to the first hive body for the reasons others have stated, makes them a lot safer to transport in the back of the SUV. All parts are interchangeable and I can add additional 5 frame boxes without messing up the bee space between them. This is clearly not the least expensive way to go but it works for me and the 20 some nucs I use.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks, JW,

My neighbor was throwing away about 10 - 12 sheets of 4x8 in 3/8 and 1/2 inch up at the farm. I did not need it but 300$ in plywood with very few problems. Too cheap to not pile it in the barn. I fig I will use it some where and time.

I have 4 hives now but still just want two hives but seems you need to be growing hives or watching them die..

I have a friend here that has helped me back into new times beekeeping from the good old days of the 60-early 90's and he will take the extras hives but he is 25 miles off in Houston. MY wife is not a fan but since I have gotten rid of the problem with the near African bee behavior the world is good to see bees that are calm again.

4 years ago a made a bunch of the plywood nuc boxes for growing nucs and making splits. I made all the entrances round and with a disk. No regrets there. Makes moving splits a whole lot easier.
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12