Bee Police Help I have been robbed

Default Bee Police Help I have been robbed

Was a newbie last year with three hives. When dearth hit my bees were on 1:1 syrup then all these bees came from I don't know where. Everyone was getting sugar and each of my 2 deeps were putting down at least a gallon a day.Went on for 5 days and then stopped. Could not get near the hives without being stung.My bee club was no help because it stopped.
    This year I got rid of one hive so had two.Best hive put on 3 supers and the other two. On my best hive their were bees everywhere. Outside and inside and not a lot of fighting. When inspected hive could not hardly see any wood.Leftt 3 supers on waiting for 3rd to get capped and then BOOM.Between two hives had 3 supers G O N E. Still a lot of bees. At one time hardly any honey in either hive. Fed 2:1 syrup and bees took to it. Also neighbors planted pumpkins and with golden rod had a good nectar flow till freezing. Empty supers were now collecting nectar, then bottoms started with nectar and some brood. Winter came so I closed big hive up,2 bottoms 2 supers,and sugar blocks. O their hive 2 deeps with sugar blocks. Very little honey but both doing ok. One a normal 2 deep but other with 2 supers and 2 deep. We have life. I think I was robbed bad. I have read some robbing posts but not a lot. THE KICKER is I think these robber bees had to come from a feral hive. Dont know anyone that has bees around me. How do I get my 2 super,2 deeps back to 2 deeps. Most of bees are in top super......Too cold to look at maybe later next week but they made it. So what to do withe 4 box hive. Probably brood in super and lot of sugar. My mentor that has stopped helping me said you can leave sugar in all the time. So I want to get my two hives look like the hives i see in the videos and what to do with supers fullof brood and sugarAND WHAT ABOUT GETTING ROBBED BY BEES FROM??? Thank you. Lay it on me I can take it. Help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Police Help I have been robbed

Welcome to the forum Dogmechanic. Beekeeping is local, so in order for folks to give you some advice it will be helpful to fill out your location. I am in Vermont and the high today was 30 degrees and the wind was blowing at 8 mph. I can't touch my hives for a while until spring arrives. You could be in Alabama and at 80 degrees. That said, you need to inventory your hives to see what they have. How many frames of brood? Food? Stores?Empty comb? But you need to do this in warm weather. Its likely that you will be able to consolidate frames and remove some boxes. When is your flow? It depends on where you are. This much I am sure of: buy some robber screens.
    Once you add your location, I am sure others can give you more specific advice. J

First step is to add robbing screens to your hives to keep out the pesky interlopers. You can build one for about $3 or buy them.

First of all, we need your location to help you better. Second, DO NOT feed unless you have to and make every attempt to NOT start robbing. It is very hard to stop robbing once it starts. i.e.
    * Do not spill a single drop of sugar water in the bee yard. This may sound extreme but this a very powerful trigger for robbing in darth situation.
    * Put robber screens on BEFORE you feed.
    * Always feed inside the hive i.e. frame feeder, miller feeder, baggie or quart jar inside a covered box, etc.)
    * Feed only at night if you can.
    * Do NOT feed perpetually i.g. feed for a day or two and then stop for few days, etc.

The bees will move down from supers on their own once the flow starts. It seems like you have been overfeeding from your comments.

PS: The old stored sugar water in the hive will not trigger robbing.

Dogmech you didn’t mention it, but I’d thought say something as a lot of beeks think it’s standard issue. Honey-B-Healthy is a major cause of robbing issues.
    Rod

Robbing screens helped me a lot! Easy to use and very effective. I've got one on an empty hive right now that has stores I don't want to have robbed out.
    Meghan

Located in central Illinois. Has been cool but and not 50 degrees for much time so still on sugar block. Dont think is warm enough to get frames out,but maybe in 3days, Cold in winter and hot in summer. Humid in summer. Bees have been bringing in pollen. Was 50 today but windy so did not feel warm. 50 degrees

Put robber screens on now ? Will start on 1:1 syrup when stays over 50 degrees. on sugar block now, Your help is really appreciated.. I live in central Illinois.Was 50 today but windy. Little cool

I have not used Honey B Healthy but it was said in our bee club to prevent mold in syrup. In future will put all comments in one place. newbie