Bees in two swarm traps, but both near my home (and only) bee yard

Default Bees in two swarm traps, but both near my home (and only) bee yard

I've got two bait hives that swarms have taken up residence in. Bees have been there about a week. One is the ubiquitous 'five from a sheet of ply' design with four frames in it but the one I most concerned about is a cardboard concrete form like you get from the home improvement stores that has only a few guides at the top (old top bars from an aborted top bar project)... I know each day, the cutout get messier on this one.

One issue is both are only a few hundred yards from where my other hives are. Actually, it is where I should have put them all - in a beautiful, but unworked pecan orchard on property I have access to.

I'm aware of the potential loss just hiving them a few hundred yards from where they were trapped without taking them further away and moving them back, but I have a few newbee (read ignorant) questions...
    • while not typically advised, would it be a complete disaster to move them from the trap to a hive only 300 yards away?
    • Would there be and downside to putting the hive where they are now and possibly starting a new bee yard there - only a few hundred yards away from my other hives (other than obviously missing the benefit of having a second yard miles away)?
    • If put in a hive and slowly moved back with the others, is the rule of thumb of a few feet a day literal? I I moved a plant blocking the entrance with them could I move them faster? maybe 10 yards every few days (is is all in the open other than well spaced pecan trees)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees in two swarm traps, but both near my home (and only) bee yard

Personally, move them and be done. Give them a frame with open brood if they don't have brood of their own. Hang another trap in the original location, repeat as necessary. (collect and reunite the foragers who didn't get the "we've moved" memo if you have the urge)

Disadvantage to establishing an additional yard, the inconvenience of working two yards rather the all the hives in one location.

I don't have the time/patience to move hives a few feet per day.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Move them at night and place a branch with leaves in front so they have to work their way through it to get flying. This will cause them to reorient just like moving them 3 miles. Works every time. Moving hives two feet a day is for newbs
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Move them at night and place a branch with leaves in front so they have to work their way through it to get flying. This will cause them to reorient just like moving them 3 miles. Works every time. Moving hives two feet a day is for newbs
    yup this works.

I moved a swarm rescue box Wednesday night 150'. Covered the entrance with some cedar twigs... next day a couple dozen bees were flying at the original location, by 3rd day only an occasional bee was flying at the origin. Move them at night to wherever you want. Watch out for girls lounging underneath, they get nasty if you spill the beer.