New North Bama Beek - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New North Bama Beek

I will sure keep an eye out Rich!
    Been tough even getting in the hives as of late. Seems to be cloudy and rainy everyday!
    Hopefully this new queen can help resolve BOTH our problems!

Ron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes the rain has messed me up also with the bees. I did do a very thorough inspect this past week. Glad for the rain though, my pastures have been suffering lately. That may be why I havnt gotten a queen back from mating also. My fingers are crossed that I go back in a couple days, and she has returned. Unless.something got her on mating flight....? Rich

Checked on the weak hive yesterday, approx. 10 days after re-queening. I did find the queen which made me happy! It was my first correctly identified problem! I was originally concerned I just had a bad queen but could never find her, and as a result I was worried the bees would just "Off" the new queen once she was released. Fortunately that was not the case.

Rich, I unfortunately did not find any additional queen cells in the hive.

There was not a lot of "queen evidence" yet (larva, eggs, etc) but for now Im writing that off as its been weather weird here with heat and rain daily plus we are in the typical dearth part of the year here so there may not be a huge need for more bees.

I did feed both hives (1/1) and will continue to do so till mid/late August. My goal for now is just to have 2 strong hives going in to winter.

I TOTALLY understand the concept of 2 hives now. One of mine has been going great guns since insertion and the other has always lagged behind. If I had only the weak hive, Im convinced I would not be able to overwinter them. VERY glad I went with 2!!

I'll keep updating as warranted.

Ron

Checked on the weak hive yesterday, approx. 10 days after re-queening. I did find the queen which made me happy! It was my first correctly identified problem! I was originally concerned I just had a bad queen but could never find her, and as a result I was worried the bees would just "Off" the new queen once she was released. Fortunately that was not the case.

Rich, I unfortunately did not find any additional queen cells in the hive.

There was not a lot of "queen evidence" yet (larva, eggs, etc) but for now Im writing that off as its been weather weird here with heat and rain daily plus we are in the typical dearth part of the year here so there may not be a huge need for more bees.

I did feed both hives (1/1) and will continue to do so till mid/late August. My goal for now is just to have 2 strong hives going in to winter.

I TOTALLY understand the concept of 2 hives now. One of mine has been going great guns since insertion and the other has always lagged behind. If I had only the weak hive, Im convinced I would not be able to overwinter them. VERY glad I went with 2!!

I'll keep updating as warranted.

Ron

way to go ron!

thanks for updating us. will be moving your thread to 'beekeeping 101' soon.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Hi Ron, any news or updates. Havnt seen ya around much lately. Give me a shout sometimes... rich in Decatur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12