New North Bama Beek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New North Bama Beek

Hello All!!!

Located in Harvest, Alabama and just installed my first 2 packages a week ago today!

I gave them each 3 gallons of 2-1 on install day. Checked that the queens were release last Thursday and Friday (one was one wasn't)so far all looks good. As of Friday both were released. They had already started drawing comb!

I do have a question. When I checked for queen release the feeders were still very heavy indicating lots of food still present, however, Sat and Sun turned out very cool with freezing temps at night.

I was considering checking the food again tomorrow and complimenting existing 2-1 with more 1-1 as the Redbuds, Pines, and Cherry trees are in full pollen and bloom. After that, I plan on leaving them alone for a week or so. Since they are new to the area I can see where initial feeding is important and will continue to feed. Just wondering when/if I should eventually remove the feeders for the summer?

Thanks in advance! I am SOOO looking forward to this new adventure!

Respectfully

Ron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New North Bama Beek

Welcome to beesource. Keep an eye on the honey stores. If they need it feed it. If they don't need it then lay off or you will clog up the brood area. 3 gallons is too much per colony. A package only weighs 3 lbs they don't need 30 lbs of feed. Also you are coming up on your honey flow time of the year if you are not already in it. So they might not need any feed at all once they have established themselves a little. Best advice I can give is keep an eye out, don't over feed and don't under feed
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Ditto above. Once they start taking in honey, they will probably ignore the syrup. If they take in too much syrup, your queen won't have anywhere to lay. I like to use in-hive mason jars when I see a need to feed. Easy to control how much they get at a time and easy to clean.

If you bought good, packed nucs, go ahead and checkerboard them out to a 10 frame. You want them building that comb. In my limited experience, I've had more luck getting them building and moving about when checkerboarding than when simply adding a box or putting the frames to the edge. However, be sure they have enough bees to cover the brood.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Good advice on both posts above. Also, welcome!
    Rod

Welcome to beesource, and congrats on your new bees. Good to see a local on here. Great advice from these folks. I agree to not overfeed them. Feed them but not quiet so much.1 to 1 syrup for helping draw comb. I use quart feeders inside hives. Don't want to block the queen from laying. Flow is starting about now also. You might need to feed and supplement during the summer dearth. Decatur, al here. Good luck

I guess maybe I should have been a little more clear as to my install. I installed 1 package per 10 frame hive body with no drawn comb or honey, 2 brand new hives. I installed a Dadant Hive top feeder (with the floating platforms) in each hive. Made a 25 lb sugar to 6 quart water mixture and added half to each hive. I may replace the Hive top feeders with mason jars on the top cover while things are good in the spring like they are now. Seems they may be easier to monitor, that way I can add delete in smaller increments as required.

Much activity on both hives yesterday. Lots of coming and going.

Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice!

Richinbama, maybe sometime I can head your way and see how a real beekeeper does things. I'd love to pick your brain about the local do's and dont's.

Again Thanks!

Ron

welcome aboard from jackson county!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Welcome aboard..

Welcome to Bee Source from west Alabama.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Welcome and good luck with your packages.
    “My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.” (Proverbs 24:13)

Hi Ron, how are you and the bees doing? Mine are busting at the seams. Did a few splits last 2 weeks. Will do more asap. Give me a shout when ya can
    Richard

Richard,
    Things are going well here. I decided to go with the second hive bodies last weekend and went with the 10 frame deeps on both. The bees are thriving! Much action at both hives. I haven't opened them since last Sunday and its KILLIN’ me but I feel by the amount of activity they are doing well.
    I am keeping an eye out for queen cells but so far “all clear”. I really wanna make sure the hives are strong for the winter since they are first year-ers. With any luck I may be able to put supers on toward the end of the month or early June. Ive continued feeding due to the fact they are building comb on fresh foundation in the hive bodies. Once those fill with comb I’ll stop feeding and see how it goes. Other than that, they are bee-ing right along!!!😊

About feeding.. our dearth I think in mid June forward. So feeding is a good thing during this period till fall flow.

Thank you sir!!!
    I will remember that and keep them happy....and full!!!😃👍

Hows the bees doing rhere ron? Its been a qhile since we talked, or seen a post from you. Hope all is well... Rich

The 9th Annual North Alabama Beekeeper's Symposium will be August 17, 2019 in Athens, Alabama. This event has really proved to rival the state-wide meetings in quality of speakers, vendors and experience. I live in south Alabama, but have made the trip a couple of times and it has been well worth it. Hope you will attend.

Thanks form the up data psm1212. I'm in Decatur, so if work schedule holds, I'll probably attend also. Rich

Here is a link to the North Alabama Symposium info:

http://lcbees.com/symposium.php

Its been a small bit of a battle. Think I lost a queen in one of the hives. I have them in double deeps. When I checked about a month ago, I saw very little capped brood, no eggs and no larva. I took 2 frames of brood, larva, eggs from the strong hive and put them in the weak hive. They did not make ANY queen cells. I checked again and most of the brood had hatched and very few cells were still capped. Again no eggs and no larva. I ordered a queen from BYB in Georgia and received it last Thursday. I put her in but the bees seemed to have little interest in her. There was no stinging attempts made by the few that came to her cage initially so I decided to let her and them be and will check on them here when the weather breaks to see how shes doing. I also intend to treat the strong hive with Apigard this week. Gonna hold off on treating the weak hive until the new queen has had time to get started.
    I TOTALLY understand the reason behind starting with 2 hives now. One of them is going great guns and the other is trailing behind significantly. I am really enjoying learning from the weak hive as well as keeping the strong hive strong. I have been feeding both hives 1/1 and will till the end of August. Other than that, things are going great! Fascinating lil bugs they are!!!!

Sorry to hear ya lost a queen. The new one should be chewed out in a few days. Always nice to have 2 or more hives.
    Say Ron, if you come into any queen cells, I need a few. I had a hive go queenless myself, and a split went queenless or rather the queen hatched and didn't return. So if you're make any, can ya give me a ring. They usually do after a new queen is installed for some reason or another. I think they are queenless, then ya get one. Then they want more... lol. We should get to gather sometime, I'm free most afternoons lately.
    Thanks, Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast