scorch vs burn for efb - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: scorch vs burn for efb

understood, apologize forgetting about your earlier report. agreed on a mixed consensus here about what to do, thanks for sharing the case.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Kaizen; The study I read about pressure washing versus scorching woodenware for AFB spores was done in Canada years ago. The result was that total spores found after treatment by each method were within 3% of each other.

Woodenware should be the least likely cause of reinfection from EFB, combs and honey being the most probable cause. I would do shook swarms onto new frames of foundation while feeding OTC in sugar.
    I think that the shook swarm onto new frames plus plus a course of OTC is the belt and suspenders treatment. Hard pill to swallow though if you have many hives and think it worth a chance to do part way measure and hope it stays away. I did a little of both. Too cold yet to get in to see if new brood appears healthy. I am certainly glad it is not what I have to make my living off of.
    Frank

For EFB I solely steam process the equipment. Requeened with better disease resistant stock. AFB gets fire treatment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkxq7qGqxQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbx-Dv5iLmA

Hope these links work.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    understood, apologize forgetting about your earlier report. agreed on a mixed consensus here about what to do, thanks for sharing the case.
    nonsense. I barely remember what i did last month. no reason anyone else should remember a year ago. the beesource community definitely helped me in the right direction last summer with this.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I think that the shook swarm onto new frames plus plus a course of OTC is the belt and suspenders treatment. Hard pill to swallow though if you have many hives and think it worth a chance to do part way measure and hope it stays away. I did a little of both. Too cold yet to get in to see if new brood appears healthy. I am certainly glad it is not what I have to make my living off of.
    This was a deadout. so burning/scorching is my belt and suspenders. just getting rid of these frames i believe is miles ahead of where i was last year. I have extra boxes so i'm not going to be cheap for 30 bucks. As i said this yard has been a perpetual issue and it might just be the equipment.
    Terrence

If someone has fairly substantial info that the efb bacteria can survive in soil, ditches etc., around hives I would be interested in hearing about it. It would be more than sad if you went with all new equipment and it still returned. I have read one source that claims it needs very specific conditions when attempts are made to raise the bacteria in the lab.
    Frank

I do have information for thought on AFB. Here in Montana when the state deployed a number of the AFB detection kits, they never found a single hive that didn't test positive for AFB. I think these pathogens are everywhere. That flock immunity is the single most important defense against them. That stressors coupled with weak genetics bring them to the fore. All the fire in the world is not the final answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    I have had Efb in nearly 80 colonies at once. I still use the same equipment and no longer have issues with it. Genetics is the main reason.
    EFB is easy to fix compared to other honey bee diseases. In 100% of the times I've seen EFB over the past 55 years, a new queen and a few days of feeding (until she is well established) resulted in prompt and complete colony recovery. A dose of an antibiotic (with a vet's prescription) is added insurance. The key is to catch the problem early -- before it does a lot of harm to your own bees and before it spreads to your neighbor's bees. They'll recover much better and faster if the hive hasn't dwindled down to a half-cup of adult bees and no live brood.

As with all other honey bee maladies, the best solution is for 100% of beekeepers to religiously conduct biweekly inspections and monthly mite counts using a reliable and valid test. Then, whenever a problem is identified, treat immediately with an appropriate proven and approved product. Follow treatment with weekly inspections to verify that the treatment worked. If not, treat again -- with a different product if available. If everyone took these steps, beekeepers like Kaizen wouldn't need to deal with problems spreading from other colonies in the area. Yeah, I know that nobody is treating the feral colonies. But, that's no excuse for poor management of colonies we can control -- then, even the feral colonies would be healthier. Anyone who isn't willing or able to provide proper care for the tens of thousands of Gods creatures in that box should find a hobby that doesn't involve living beings.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    ...they never found a single hive that didn't test positive for AFB....
    The Department of Microbiology and Molecular Biology at Brigham Young University (BYU) has found similar results here in Utah -- everyone has it but not necessarily at a pathological level. The loss of antibiotics as a prophylactic has resulted in an increase in AFB detections in Utah.

Good news: In their research, the folks at BYU developed a promising product that uses phages to treat/prevent AFB. It's about to hit the market. I pre-ordered some myself. Take a look www.broodsafe.com.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

I torch frames and box interiors, bottom boards, inner covers, etc. This has also been a proven method for saving colonies from AFB as well.

Glacial Acetic acid kills efb and nosema.
    Stack boxes with frames 4 or 5 high. Empty super on top
    Place full strength acetic acid in a bowl. Seal seams
    Cover, tape 70 d is minium temp for evaporation.
    Let sit a few weeks
    Air out for a week.
    Wax moths not a prob
    Lots of info on www.
    Duda diesel for acetic acid.
    PROTECTION REQUIRED
    HAVE WATER ON HAND FOR SAFTEY RINSE. RESPIRATOR, FACE SHIELD, GLOVES ETC.
    Last edited by Ormigon; 04-06-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Misnamed product added glacial to acetic acid

Duda diesel shows Out of Stock on all acetic acid quantities.
    Frank

I omitted GLACIAL ACETIC ACID.
    sorry
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...8aAvOLEALw_wcB

That's 99.5. can you dilute it with water to bring it to 80 percent or is the 99.5 ok to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Scraping with a hive tool and pressure washing removes as many spores of AFB as does torching the wooden ware, so it should do the same with EFB.
    Please advise where your information is coming from. All I have found for AFB requires all the wood ware be burned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12