Newspaper combine: Provide a top/middle entrance for upper colony?

Hybrid View

Default Newspaper combine: Provide a top/middle entrance for upper colony?

This weekend I plan to kill my drone laying queen, wait 24 hours, and then put a recently-captured swarm on top with newspaper in between (assuming I see eggs in the swarm's nuc and know they're queenright).

Should I provide a second entrance for the upper colony, either at the top, or just above the newspaper?
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Default Re: Newspaper combine: Provide a top/middle entrance for upper colony?

No. just make sure you put slits in newspaper.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    No. just make sure you put slits in newspaper.
    +1

What I do is put the bottom board on top of the box 3/4 side down and slip in an entrance reducer, works out pretty slick.
    Rod

Prop up the cover just a fraction of an inch to provide "some" ventilation. Popsicle sticks at 2 corners, something that will allow a little air flow but not wide enough to allow the bees to get through.

Doing the combination later in the evening seems to be best time. The bees are not cooped up in a box all day with the sun beating down on them. Usually by morning the bees will have chewed a few holes in the newspaper and are in the process of combining with the colony below.
    To everything there is a season....