melting wax in the oven

Question melting wax in the oven

Hi, all,

I'm really liking this versus double boiler right about now. I put "wax pourer" container in the oven and set it to 190 or so. This seems more efficient and less cumbersome to the double boiler approach. Any downsides?

Regards,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: melting wax in the oven

Potential for fire. If electric, any wax that might drip onto the bottom heating element may ignite.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

HUGE potential for an irate wife and finding one's self in the "dog house" forever banned from the kitchen.

Yep
    Mine tolerates mini nucs and cellstarters being left in the basement for a few days, and the incubator kept in the house..... Made the mistake of running wax in the kitchen once........ once

I do it in the oven. Below are pictures of my process from beginning to end. I place the dirty wax from my solar melter onto a screen I made using #8 screen which sits over a metal loaf pan with about 1/2" of water in it. I place a couple layers of paper towels between the dirty wax and the screen. I set the oven on its lowest setting.

Yes, you should be careful for all of the valid reasons stated in this thread.

wax 1.jpg
    wax 2.jpg
    wax 3.jpg
    wax 4.jpg
    wax 5.jpg

5 pic limit. I will post final 3 pics in next post.

I've tried every method ever invented. Maybe except a steamer.

Best thing I have found is an old, used, slow cooker. I set it at high and add about an inch of water followed by as much wax as it will hold until thoroughly melted.

I have tried placing the wax in a fine mesh bag and let that sift out the junk, but have to then clean it out or toss it and it's always saturated in wax - such a waste. I have come to prefer a small metal mesh strainer sold in the kitchen aisle. I can run it through the wax in the pot and collect almost everything - It's also entirely reusable. After cooling, any of the tiny particles left stay in the water I added, or is easily scraped off the bottom. I could pour the wax through some paper towels if I wanted it perfectly "pure" but it's so good as it is, never bothered doing so.

Best part of it all? I can do it out on my tool bench in the garage - away from the kitchen.

I went thru deep fat fryers and slow cookers and double boilers and find that my $7 Salvation army microwave to be safer, quicker and takes up a lot less of my precious square footage. I buy 2 quart pyrex measuring cups. I have one for dirty wax and one to filter thru nylon tricot into. So much easier and safer. Go ahead and tell your insurance agent you are heating a volatile hydrocarbon in your kitchen in the oven.