Sam Comfort colonies

Default Sam Comfort colonies

Here’s 2 pics of 2 separate comfort colonies (sam’s vsh Carniolan). Both were over wintered as singles. They have been getting Laurie Millers sugar bricks since March 7th. I’m just hitting them with pollen sub. The temp outside was 37 F and was 6:45 pm when the picture was taken. We have no natural pollen coming in yet here. Just a plug for Sam as there are some nice looking bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sam Comfort colonies

those are looking pretty darn good clay. were they left untreated last year?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

SP they recieved 3 rounds of oav. As routine treatment, I didn’t have time to monitor mite levels like I normally would have. They expressed great vsh uncapping at purple eye stage. I will say sam’s bees are very very local for me. They have strong TF traits. I you can see from the pics these bees can survive a zone 4 mans winter.

Sam has excellent queens. I still have one of the original, marked, queens in a hive from 2015 with a faded blue dot. She's still laying full frames of brood and is not slowing down yet.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Here’s a pic of the comfort colony from above. Key things to note is I have changed to a 9 frame per box broodnest. Also frame 9 was just added as it was a division board feeder. These bees are extreme pollen hoarders. These bees are a bit friskier then some so should be worked with smoke. And they hate cell phones for what ever reads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    SP they recieved 3 rounds of oav. As routine treatment,