One handed queen catcher -vs- two finger queen catcher.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One handed queen catcher -vs- two finger queen catcher.

Anybody used these?

My two finger queen catcher is always in my hand , but of course a cage isn't always in my hand. And I'm always worried I'll hurt her with my two finger catcher. It seems like it might be convenient to safe the queen when doing manipulations and nurse bees can get in and out.
    Zone 5B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: One handed queen catcher -vs- two finger queen catcher.

I catch her with my fingers but I like the cage for marking her and holding her while the paint dries and I do something else in the hive.

I put the frame shes on in a sealed, dark, nuc box. If she's on a frame I need I'll usually wait until I'm done with the main hive and then pick her up and but her down between two frames. I also don't mark any of my queens so keep that in mind.

I used to use one handed catchers but also feared harming her, but do keep one in my pocket for emergencies (once caught a swarm in progress and the queen landed, alone, on a fence of light mesh deer netting. I happened to have my jacket on with a catcher in my pocket and snatcher her up before she could take flight, trying to grab her with my fingers probably would have sent her back into flight)

They all work, it's really just whatever works for you.

Perhaps somebody would kindly explain how a queen-catcher works ? The ones I'm referring to are shaped rather like the hair grips that some women use.

Ok - so you manage to capture a queen inside such a catcher - I get that bit ok - but what happens next ? How do you then get that queen safely out of such a catcher in order to do anything with her ?

There are some devices used in beekeeping which I 'just don't get' - this being one of them ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

The handy thing about the queen catcher is you now know where the queen is. You can set it back on top of one of the open boxes and continue your work until you decide where you need to put her. It's nice when catching a swarm or doing a cut out because it confines the queen while allowing the workers in and out. Otherwise, yes, your fingers could work fine. My fingers used to work fine, but sometimes I get a tremor now and that is a problem.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Ah - I see - so they're just for temporarily holding the queen. That makes sense.
    But if you want to mark or mailing-cage a queen, then use your fingers ...
    LJ

The problem with my two finger queen catcher is it frequently has propolis or other foreign matter on it when it's needed so the clip works better in those cases. I try to carry both.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

You will not hurt her with the queen catcher. The spring is very weak and it closes quite gently. I really like them. I keep one in the pocket of my jacket at all times to I can quickly get it out. It does a nice job of keeping the queen safe while doing inspections. When done, I put it on the top of the frames, open it up facing downward and she quietly walks out and into the hive.

>You will not hurt her with the queen catcher.

Usually. If you're careful. I have killed a queen with one before...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Anybody used these?

My two finger queen catcher is always in my hand , but of course a cage isn't always in my hand. And I'm always worried I'll hurt her with my two finger catcher. It seems like it might be convenient to safe the queen when doing manipulations and nurse bees can get in and out.
    One-handed Queen Catcher M00605. If this is what you are talking about, I like it. I just bought one this year because my bees enjoy stinging. It is impossible for me to mark Queens with gloves on, even the thin nitrile ones. It was a little awkward at first, so I practiced on Drones.
    Just remember to pull the plunger to the most open position to catch her and after marking and drying. I also lightly smoke the catcher before trying to catch another.

Good luck,
    Alex

Edit; I thought I copied a picture. Anyway that is the model# of the Dadant version.
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Anybody used these?

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE USED for 3-4 years.... love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Lake-Han...67106780&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    HERE IS WHAT I HAVE USED for 3-4 years.... love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Lake-Han...67106780&psc=1
    Dang, kinda pricey through Amazon!

Alex

I just don't think I paid that much for it...I may have bought one on EBAY..... but it is really a very useful tool.... One thing I noticed last fall at the VSBA state meeting from a vendor who had these...... the one he had's plunger did not stop 1/2" from the top and you could forseeably squash the queen....The one I have stops and it is really an invaluable tool to have.....You can practice catching drones and marking them, but for quickly and safely catching and marking the queen, this thing is great...releasing her back on the frame is a snap.....personally I wouldnt do it any other way...I never liked touching the queen....yeah yeah I know, and I have heard it before how simple it is to grab her and so on, good for them, I wont do that.... Also, watch some youtube videos on one handed queen catcher and see how easy it is to use...YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Dang, kinda pricey through Amazon!

Alex

It may be someone trying to make some quick easy money.

Lj- my two finger catcher is fat and cumbersome. Here is the economy knock off version of the one hand catcher. The original is +5

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/economy-...-queen-catcher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6U_JpXjf0

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Perhaps somebody would kindly explain how a queen-catcher works ? The ones I'm referring to are shaped rather like the hair grips that some women use.

Ok - so you manage to capture a queen inside such a catcher - I get that bit ok - but what happens next ? How do you then get that queen safely out of such a catcher in order to do anything with her ?

There are some devices used in beekeeping which I 'just don't get' - this being one of them ...
    LJ
    Last edited by sc-bee; 03-29-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    sc-bee

Quote Originally Posted by sc-bee View Post
    Lj- my two finger catcher is fat and cumbersome. Here is the economy knock off version of the one hand catcher. The original is +5
    Thanks for the clarification - appreciated.

This was the kind of 'queen-catcher' I thought you guys were talking about:

I have seen a somewhat different design with 'crocodile teeth' - but basically the same idea.
    When 'plungers' began being mentioned in this thread I started to realise I was inhabiting a parallel universe ...
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Thanks for the clarification - appreciated.

This was the kind of 'queen-catcher' I thought you guys were talking about:

I have seen a somewhat different design with 'crocodile teeth' - but basically the same idea.
    When 'plungers' began being mentioned in this thread I started to realise I was inhabiting a parallel universe ...
    LJ
    I have always heard that referred to as a Queen clip. Probably because of it's resemblance to a hair clip, instead of it's actual function.

Alex

The clip is pretty much the regular catcher. Here is the one with the plunger:
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/one-handed-queen-catcher

Yes that's the one!!!! still have to pay shipping unless you have ML dealer nearby....I like this thing !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The clip is pretty much the regular catcher. Here is the one with the plunger:
    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/one-handed-queen-catcher

I have the plunger style and they are great. Much better than the clothes pin style IMO. Ymmv
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast