getting stung through my fencing veil

Default getting stung through my fencing veil

Hello - I have a humble bee jacket with a zip on fencing veil. I have bee getting stung on the chin and ears. Humble bee sells other veils that will fit the jacket such and round and square. Are any of these better for protection? Does anyone use anything inside the veil to help keep it from collapsing on their face?

Thank you,

Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: getting stung through my fencing veil

Maybe you suit is too small? I've only been stung once through any fencing veil and I've been using them for decades. That was doing a cut out and I was looking up at it and the veil was against my nose. If it's up against your ears, it must be up against you. I've seen people wear a baseball cap under their veil. You could also get a small straw hat to wear under it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you for the info. I do wear a baseball cap. Actually, I maybe in the other situation. I bought a suit that is too large for me maybe by two sizes because the price was so right. I think I will try a larger brim hat and if that doesn't work maybe a better fitting veil.

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974 View Post
    Hello - I have a humble bee jacket with a zip on fencing veil. I have bee getting stung on the chin and ears. Humble bee sells other veils that will fit the jacket such and round and square. Are any of these better for protection? Does anyone use anything inside the veil to help keep it from collapsing on their face?

Thank you,

Anthony
    I hate those types of veils! The I get stung in the chin or nose almost every time I use them and I finally get rid of them. Wearing a baseball cap helps but still the veil touches the face. They are very fragile and usually the delicate mesh gets damaged. I now use the Mann Lake MV-110 Veil w/Cloth Hat & zipper. They are a bit pricey but last much longer, make it very difficult for the bee to sting through the veil. They have MUCH better visibility too especially if you are operating equipment. Worth every penny in my opinion.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/veil-w-cloth-hat-zipper

With some bee suits or jackets you may have to sew on the bottom part of the zipper but the wife says it is pretty easy.

The Golden Bee Products suit and the Ultra Breeze suits both have a head band in side of the veil that keeps it away from your face. I haven't tried the cheap suits.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I wear a straw hat with a mosquito net over the top. Works fine. If I plan to be really digging into the hive I'll put on a pair of earmuffs. I find that hearing the swarming bees annoys me more than the occasional sting, so having on the muffs keeps me calmer too.