Lost my hive last yr, just opened,help

Default Lost my hive last yr, just opened,help

I lost my hive last yr, I didnít treat for mites. So I just ordered 4 new packs for this yr. I opened my hive..... there is a lot of honey and dead bees inside, also some mold in one corner. The company I ordered my bees from said I could use my empty hives with the existing combs etc to help the new bees get going. My concern is, if I did loose them to mites, will the mites still be inside and thereís is so much honey etc inside, how do I clean it out and not hurt the infrastructure the old bees left behind?

Where would the mol Dave come from?

Will the new bees clean it out?

I feel awful for not treating my old hives and donít want to put these new bees through the same ordeal.
    Thank you in advance
    Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lost my hive last yr, just opened,help

You should be fine. No live bees or larva, no live mites. Try to get as many dead bees of the frames as you can but don't sweat it too much. No point destroying any comb removing bees. The mold was from some moisture. You can leave that be. You are in good shape with all that drawn comb and resources. Just remember to put some empty drawn frames in the center so there is room for her to lay. Not sure how many honey frames you have vs empty frames.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    You should be fine. No live bees or larva, no live mites. Try to get as many dead bees of the frames as you can but don't sweat it too much. No point destroying any comb removing bees. The mold was from some moisture. You can leave that be. You are in good shape with all that drawn comb and resources. Just remember to put some empty drawn frames in the center so there is room for her to lay. Not sure how many honey frames you have vs empty frames.
    the lower two supers are full. I can pull the middles and move them to the 2 new hives I am adding this year. So, leave all the honey and comb from the old bees? What if there are larva in the combs? There is a lot of honey in there. I just want to make sure I don't ruin these little guys new home.......

Ohhhh you only had the 1 hive. I'm sorry. When i first read it, I thought 4 replacements for 4 deadouts.

So basically you are starting 4 hives this year and you have 1 hive full of frames of honey.

I would say distribute the resources evenly throughout all the hives. All hives will have undrawn foundation and some frames from the deadout to get them started.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Ohhhh you only had the 1 hive. I'm sorry. When i first read it, I thought 4 replacements for 4 deadouts.

So basically you are starting 4 hives this year and you have 1 hive full of frames of honey.

I would say distribute the resources evenly throughout all the hives. All hives will have undrawn foundation and some frames from the deadout to get them started.
    My one hive has a lot of honey in it. I am getting 2 bee packs that have been started and 2 packs, that have not been started. I was going to use my existing stuff for the new bees ( not started) and put the the already started hive s in their own supers.. thank you guys for the help. I feel terrible for loosing my bees last year.

First thing you need to read up on varroa mites and how to treat for them. lots of info on this site. Also just an fyi the "already started bee packages" are called nucs. Supers are generally the hive bodies that are used for honey. The hive bodies that are used for the brood nest (usually 1 or 2 deep hive bodies) are called the "brood boxes". Like anything else you will pick up on the lingo as you go but wanted to clarify a couple terms for you to make it easier to communicate what you need to.

i read up on the mites last yr, thatís how I knew I needed to treat for them. I was just too late...... I went and checked my empty hive, and there were honey bees coming out. When I opened it the other day, it was empty. Will other bees rob the honey? Should 8 shut it up until I get my new bees?

Yes, they will rob it out so close it up. J

If you're on a budget oxalic acid drip method works. I give them a treatment in November. And I give them three treatments one week apart in the summer after I pull my honey supers off. I've done this for three years have not had a problem with mites. If you're getting some packages go ahead and treat them with a drip method. As this will start you off with virtually no mites