Setting up Deep for package installation and existing fully drawn out frames

Default Setting up Deep for package installation and existing fully drawn out frames

I'm setting up my deep for installation of new bees as mine died over the winter. I have enough fully drawn frames to have all 10 frames in the deep at the start, but not sure this is a good idea. If the rule is to add another deep when 70% of the frames are fully drawn out, then how should I setup this first deep? Do I add two deeps with both having 7 frames drawn out? Perhaps only add one deep with four fully drawn out and the rest empty frames?

Only my 3rd year doing this, so still a newbie.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Kevin in Wisconsin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Setting up Deep for package installation and existing fully drawn out frames

For a package i use one deep with ten frames of drawn or something close. They have to establish their nest and fill them so it will take a few weeks at least. Be ready with the 2nd deep and when you add it move some of the brood and honey frames up using checkerboarding.

my favorite way to install a package is to remove the queen and put her in the middle of the box. Then put the package into the hive on the side after removing enough frames. Put feed over them and close them up. Takes a minute to do per box. Come back in a few days to check the queen and they are all out of the package. Started using this when i had a real cold spell and didn't want to spray them with sugar water and turned out i liked it more then all the shaking.
    Terrence

Default Re: Setting up Deep for package installation and existing fully drawn out frames

Assuming that you are going to utilize the queen cage that the queen in your package was shipped in, you likely will need to remove 1 frame from the box to allow space for the queen cage (9 frames remaining in place). Of course, you could remove more, but I'd just remove those necessary to put the queen cage somewhere near the middle of the box.

I suggest starting with just one box. You will need to open up the hive after a bit to check/remove the queen cage anyway.

And don't forget that with the typical queen cage, one needs to remove the cork that protects the "candy plug" from being prematurely eaten by the bees.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

When I started with bee's 6 years ago I didn't have any drawn comb. A beekeeper friend of mine gave me 4 drawn frames, 2 for each deep I was starting. So don't think you have to add all drawn frames to your new package. Just feed them and they'll draw the frames out in no time. The 2 drawn frames that I started with gave the queen plenty of space to lay before they got the others drawn out. Putting 10 frames in the box is fine, just insert the queen cage just below the frames top bar, opening facing down. Remember, drawn comb is like gold, so don't tie it all up with new packages. Get some more frames drawn out.

Use 9 drawn frames cause you need space for the queen cage between two near the center

After 4-5 days, check that the queen is out of the cage, then add the last frame

but give them ALL DRAWN comb, that's at least a 2-3 week jump-start for them as the queen can start laying immediately

put all the 'extra' room at the sides, evenly divided...it makes taking out the first frame easier, no matter which side you start from

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    Remember, drawn comb is like gold, so don't tie it all up with new packages.
    Don't hoard the drawn frames, use them on the packages. It gives the queen somewhere to lay immediately. That is where the gold is found.