Queen excluder modifications - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen excluder modifications

Has anyone found having undrawn honey super frames between brood chamber and drawn combs above as a way to prevent Queen moving up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

My experience is that the only thing that will stop the queen from going up is a good excluder used in the proper manner.

I have tried the foundation, and the full super of honey, and the queen passed through and chimneyed to the top super. I have tried the excluder placed across the brood nest, and the queen went around. I have had a few excluders with a spot where the wires were spread and the queens found the opening in 2 days. If you want brood free supers learn to use the excluder.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

IMG_0370.jpg
    I thought I would just go the top entrance route this year. and I made a top entrance shim. I wanted to minimize the extra space they would have so they wouldnt wreak havoc so I cut the space in half or more with screen. The shim wasn't thick enough to drill a hole. getting off to a bad start already.

My current shims with an UE are 3/4" thick with a 3/8" x 3/4" wide dado cut in the center. It gets awfully congested when the bees are foraging well. My next batch will have a 3/8" x 4" hole, similar to the large opening of an entrance reducer.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have found 1 single deep brood chamber then excluder works best for me. At the time I put on excluder I move all the capped brood to first box above then supers. I am not trying to change anyones opinion I know what works for me. I tried upper entrances and Imry shims and way too much pollen in supers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    I have found 1 single deep brood chamber then excluder works best for me. At the time I put on excluder I move all the capped brood to first box above then supers. I am not trying to change anyones opinion I know what works for me. I tried upper entrances and Imry shims and way too much pollen in supers.
    This may be a dumb question, but what is the problem with pollin in a supper?

Pollen in supers attracts shb and takes up space that is for honey. Then is a pain when you store them in warm winter areas.

I have a bunch of bottom boards left from when I palletized with 6" entrances, flat on the bottom. I use them for tops now. When I want an upper entrance, I flip it over, giving them an upper entrance. When I pull honey, I flip it back, putting the flat side down.

I prefer excluders, even if I have to slip them in 3 weeks before I pull, giving brood a chance to emerge.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkwoodsbees View Post
    Pollen in supers attracts shb and takes up space that is for honey. Then is a pain when you store them in warm winter areas.
    Yes, that's been my experience as well. Also a pain when extracting because it remains in the comb and throws the extractor out of balance.

I tried going without excluder and the queen was up there in a flash. Upper entrances in supers do seem to cause more pollen in with the honey. I will only leave the excluder off long enough to get the bees started at drawing out new foundation. I dont give upper entrance in supers till they are getting quite full and very hot weather.

I am in a whole lot colder climate than most of you so upper entrance issue likely a whole lot different. Probably affects the queens desire to head for the warm top of the hive too. Bees work up a whole lot easier here than it is to get them to work down.
    Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12