Bear attack last night.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bear attack last night.

Hi All,

Had a bear attack the hives last night. Had the solar fence fencer off to charge as the sun doesn't hit it enough this time of year. I ratchet strapped everything down and got the fencer back on. I'm also using a motion sensor to let me know if something is poking around.

Lost 2 hives and their hardware as the bear just bit through the boxes. It also pushed around a double nuc 4x4 so the bees were exposed to cold for however long it stayed like that. Hoping the fence being up is enough. I also baited the hot lines with some beacon wrapped around the wires.

Let me know if you can thing of anything else I can do. I dont think I'll be able to sneak up on it and get any kind of shot off before it spooks so that's probably out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bear attack last night.

Bummer. I am worried too because they are out early this year. I just got my energizer back on my fence last week when the snow melted enough but then we got a foot Friday so I had to shut it off again until the snow melts below the bottom wire. Only thing I can suggest is to take energizer off during the day and place it where it can charge up in the sun and put it back on late afternoon. J

Although I have not tried these methods, I am thinking of trying them. Get the carpet nail strips and mine the area with them. Or you can electrify wiremesh and place them around the hives. Use a something underneath as an insulator. Also, use two ratchet straps in a crossing manner. One lateral and one vertical.

I am so sorry to read this, and I thank you for posting. I have sent a warning to my students that are between us, and in the nearby area.

Hopefully your fence will deter another attack tonight.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Nancy

Roberto, please don't try what you have heard about. Carpet tack strips will deter a skunk, not a bear. Not sure what you mean about the straps but if you mean to ratchet strap the hive, yes that might save it if the bear decides its not worth it. But if a bear really wants it, s/he will tear it apart no matter what. Electrifying wire mesh will probably get you killed, not a bear! Electrified fencing has to be properly insulated and grounded and has to be a distance from the hives to be effective. J

Ratchet straps just makes the bear use more force to break open the hive. Makes for smaller kindling I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Boardrida20 View Post
    Hi All,

Had a bear attack the hives last night. Had the solar fence fencer off to charge as the sun doesn't hit it enough this time of year. I ratchet strapped everything down and got the fencer back on. I'm also using a motion sensor to let me know if something is poking around.

Lost 2 hives and their hardware as the bear just bit through the boxes. It also pushed around a double nuc 4x4 so the bees were exposed to cold for however long it stayed like that. Hoping the fence being up is enough. I also baited the hot lines with some beacon wrapped around the wires.

Let me know if you can thing of anything else I can do. I dont think I'll be able to sneak up on it and get any kind of shot off before it spooks so that's probably out.
    where in NY are you?

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    where in NY are you?
    Cambridge, 30 min east of Saratoga..

Hi All,

It didn't return last night thankfully but at the same time it makes the wondering worse. Certainly upsetting when all of your hives make the winter but are lost to something like this...

I was thinking that about the ratchet straps after inspecting what was left of the hives it got to. Teeth went right through the hive bodies. Also the hive it just pushed around have puncture marks right through them. Hopefully it will give me enough time get down there before it can drag it off like it did last time..

The apiary is 300 yards from my house but not in direct sight as it is at the bottom of the hill my house sits on. I have a chamber land motion sensor for a driveway pointed at the apiary so if something is poking around I'll hopefully know about it.

Only time will tell.

Your apiary is 300 yards from your house. Do you have a hose bibb near the apiary? If so, you might consider installing a motion-activated sprinkler. (There are many brands and models available. Here is one from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Yar...2100/203907475 .)

If you do not have a hose bibb closer than 300 yards I'm not sure the sprinkler would work due to friction losses in such a long length of hose. But it might be worth a try.

You might also consider using a house alarm type siren very loud very effective I used to use that was triggered by the photocells one for my garbage container and one for deck which had our bbq on it at our home in VT. Was highly effective for bear but also very effective at pissing off neighbors at 2 am. Depending on your surroundings might be worth a try generally they work off a 12v system

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    You might also consider using a house alarm type siren very loud very effective I used to use that was triggered by the photocells one for my garbage container and one for deck which had our bbq on it at our home in VT. Was highly effective for bear but also very effective at pissing off neighbors at 2 am. Depending on your surroundings might be worth a try generally they work off a 12v system
    I might try this. Not sure how loud it is but I can always return it... Any idea if a motion activated light works?
    https://www.amazon.com/SZYOUMY-Flash...ateway&sr=8-34

I connect all the hots via 1 wire from the top down so I can disconnect the lowest wire as the snow accumulates.

You do need need the charger on for that to be effective

I my auto correct on computer changed my motion detector/photocell to just photo cell in my previous post. We had it wired to a motion detector/photocell so it would not be active during the day and would be active during the night, sorry if I caused any confusion. We had some brutes up there that would literally tear apart my bins and bbq especially since it was a vacation home. I tried everything from bleach to nail/screwing garbage bins shut the only thing that ever worked was the sirens.

I don't know NY game law, but in VT you have to report a nuisance bear and get the ok from a game warden to shoot it or you are in big trouble. You should look into this and report it to protect yourself. Is this an out yard, or don't you have a place to recharge your energizer that is sunny? Mine will recharge in a day of full sun and last for 2 weeks. If you can't solar charge it, you can charge the batteries with a charger in a few hours and they should hold the charge for 2 weeks unless your batteries are on their way out. J

VA won't allow you to shoot a nuisance bear. It is your job to make your apiary bear resistant. They link a Florida paper on how to install an electric fence, but, you've already done that. Best bet is to get it charged up and hang some bacon on the hot wires. When the bear goes to eat the bacon...well, it won't be coming back.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Already did in NY you need to report after you take it and they come and get it. Realistically unless i had a stand it's not likely I'd be able to bag it. They are crafty and have a really good sense of smell. Crunchy snow also not easy for sneaking up on it. Hopefully it will just be gone from the area. I have the 12v parmak. Got it last spring main board blew within 3 months and the bat wouldn't hold a charge in the fall. Not bad for 300 but hopefully the new batt will bring it back up to where it needs to be.. limping along with Manual charging in the day. Bacon is set and ready

Quote Originally Posted by Boardrida20 View Post
    Already did in NY you need to report after you take it and they come and get it. Realistically unless i had a stand it's not likely I'd be able to bag it. They are crafty and have a really good sense of smell. Crunchy snow also not easy for sneaking up on it. Hopefully it will just be gone from the area. I have the 12v parmak. Got it last spring main board blew within 3 months and the bat wouldn't hold a charge in the fall. Not bad for 300 but hopefully the new batt will bring it back up to where it needs to be.. limping along with Manual charging in the day. Bacon is set and ready
    A new battery is much cheaper than a new hive. You could also get 2 batteries, leave one on the system, and the other charging at home if your solar panel is not working right.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    VA won't allow you to shoot a nuisance bear.
    Can't you shoot it and then plant a handgun on it and claim it was self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Can't you shoot it and then plant a handgun on it and claim it was self defense?
    I am not a fan of the bacon, it is an attractant, but in this case since it already knows where the goods are, it might be different. Absolutely, the self defense plea happens all the time, you were threatened
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast