Bear attack last night. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bear attack last night.

I agree with swapping batteries. I still have a couple feet of snow to contend with unfortunately.
    46.91° N

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

JW Palmer "VA won't allow you to shoot a nuisance bear."

Really?

West's Annotated Code of Virginia. Title 29.1. Game, Inland Fisheries and Boating. Chapter 5. Wildlife and Fish Laws. Article 2. Hunting and Trapping. § 29.1-517. Trapping and shooting of fur-bearing animals during closed season
    |

Primary Citation: VA Code Ann. § 29.1-517
    Country of Origin: United States
    Last Checked: January, 2019
    less -
    Alternate Citation: VA ST § 29.1-517
    Date Adopted: 1987

Summary: This Virginia law states that a landowner may shoot fur-bearing animals upon his own land during closed season when these animals are causing damage to crops or property, or are posing a threat to human health or safety, or are otherwise causing a nuisance.
    A landowner may trap or shoot fur-bearing animals upon his own land during closed season when these animals are causing damage to crops or property, or are posing a threat to human health or safety, or are otherwise causing a nuisance.

CREDIT(S)
    Acts 1987, c. 488. Amended by Acts 2004, c. 421; Acts 2007, c. 87; Acts 2013, c. 349.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post

This Virginia law states that a landowner
    say's land owner, many beeks don't own the land the hives are on. we have the same problem in NY, was at a DEC presentation, the laws says, landowner, relatives and I think renters of the land. I asked if giving honey for using the land would be considered being a renter, he hemmed and hawed and said better ask the local dec officer, they always leave a little leeway in the law to get you.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

IMHO, Personally I wouldn’t bait the fence; that bear is hungry, it’ll just get the bear angry and he’ll plow through your fence, especially now that he’s had a nice snack of bees and brood and honey.
    Proverbs 16:24

If the bear is coming back in its going to plow through your fence already most likely. Baiting it with bacon and causing the bear to take the shock in its mouth where it is massively sensitive is probably one of your best bets to make the fence effective. Other than that motion activated lights, sprinklers, and sirens or relocating the hives would be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    say's land owner, many beeks don't own the land the hives are on. we have the same problem in NY, was at a DEC presentation, the laws says, landowner, relatives and I think renters of the land. I asked if giving honey for using the land would be considered being a renter, he hemmed and hawed and said better ask the local dec officer, they always leave a little leeway in the law to get you.
    Hi Wild,Read the law. The presenter has it all wrong. The law states that you may shoot,trap, poison etc the bear if it is menacing your livestock. Thats you, the beekeeper(owner of the bees). It does not give permission to the landowner,relatives,renters or anyone else but you.
    Been there. Called DEC region 7. They said you could only shoot it if you caught it in the act of tipping a hive.And the yard had to bee fenced. They dont read the law either. Best advice is to kill it and roll it in the ditch and keep your mouth shut.( and dont sell any parts or steaks) They really like their bears.
    Nick

Riskybizz, I agree with your interpretation but if you look at the bear aware facts sheet about preventing bears from getting into your apiary, the only recourse listed is to put up an electric fence, remove any attractants, and then call VDGIF if the problem persists.
    https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildli...ng-bear-aware/
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Last year I had two bear attacks one week apart. I was told they usually go on a weekly schedule following garbage days. Anyway, I called the game commission and they had a trap set up next to my apiary within a couple hours. Caught the bear one week later

Thanks for the comments. Good to know the routine for you was about a week apart. I'll amp up my patrols around that 1wk time I have been checking early evening an around 11pm while being armed heavily. We are pretty rural but a mile from a town. Not shure how large the range is they cover but the waiting sux! I got the sirin/strobe light in the mail today so that will go up in the am. Also have some of those preditor flashers for chickens that ill put up. Our garbage day is wednesday so it didnt corespond to that. Guy down the road has trail cams in the woods and sees them so they must live pretty local.

Was your damage exploritory the first time and worse the seccond? It decimated 2 hives and moved a double nuc of center but didnt tip it just bit it and took the tar paper wrap off. Seems like it might have come early am and then peaced when the sun came up or something spooked it. Hopefully the 3.1jewel fencer does the trick..

Interesting video from NOLS in Montana. It shows how bears learn to respect electric fences. Search youtube for NOLS bear fence test. Never thought I'd need a bear fence in Eastern MA suburbs, but the bears are moving east.

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    Hi Wild,Read the law. The presenter has it all wrong. The law states that you may shoot,trap, poison etc the bear if it is menacing your livestock. Thats you, the beekeeper(owner of the bees). It does not give permission to the landowner,relatives,renters or anyone else but you.
    Been there. Called DEC region 7. They said you could only shoot it if you caught it in the act of tipping a hive.And the yard had to bee fenced. They dont read the law either. Best advice is to kill it and roll it in the ditch and keep your mouth shut.( and dont sell any parts or steaks) They really like their bears.
    Nick
    I've read the law and questioned the DEC people, 3 different ones, 3 different answers, I'm with you, in a hole they go, if they have transmitters on them, latex gloves, remove transmitters, slowly drive near a beek you don't get along with and deposit in their yard
    mike syracuse ny

a copy of the law that the dec gave out. If you have out yards on some one else's land the key word is occupant, are you an occupant or lessee if you give them honey to keep bees there. I have been told in one county yes, my county no, and by the bear biologist, to ask the dec person in the district he didn't know. so I have lived in NY long enough to make sure and not put the wording to a test.

2. Any bear killing or worrying livestock on land occupied or cultivated, or destroying an apiary thereon, may be taken or killed, at any time, by shooting or device to entrap or entice on such land, by the owner, lessee or occupant thereof, or any member of the owner's, lessee's or occupant's immediate family or by any person employed by such owner, lessee or occupant. The owner or occupant of such lands shall promptly notify the nearest environmental conservation officer and deliver to such officer the carcass of any bear killed pursuant to this subdivision. The environmental conservation officer shall dispose of the carcass as the department may direct.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post

Really?

West's Annotated Code of Virginia. Title 29.1. Game, Inland Fisheries and Boating. Chapter 5. Wildlife and Fish Laws. Article 2. Hunting and Trapping. § 29.1-517. Trapping and shooting of fur-bearing animals during closed season
    |

Primary Citation: VA Code Ann. § 29.1-517
    Country of Origin: United States
    Last Checked: January, 2019
    less -
    Alternate Citation: VA ST § 29.1-517
    Date Adopted: 1987

Summary: This Virginia law states that a landowner may shoot fur-bearing animals upon his own land during closed season when these animals are causing damage to crops or property, or are posing a threat to human health or safety, or are otherwise causing a nuisance.
    A landowner may trap or shoot fur-bearing animals upon his own land during closed season when these animals are causing damage to crops or property, or are posing a threat to human health or safety, or are otherwise causing a nuisance.

CREDIT(S)
    Acts 1987, c. 488. Amended by Acts 2004, c. 421; Acts 2007, c. 87; Acts 2013, c. 349.
    Risky, here in Chesapeake, VA we've received permission from game warden and have taken down nuisance black bear. I will not always wait for permission if my livestock is in danger though.

A friend of mine has a game camera that caught a bear touching a fence, and another of a bear who had touched the fence in the past, dejected.

BearTouchesFence.mov

DisappointedBear.mov

I have never uploaded a video before, so I hope they come out.

I'm sorry - the clips don't seem to work. anyway, in the first one the bear touches the fence with his nose and darts back into the woods. In the other, he walks around and sits down and stares at the fence, then gives up and walks away.

I feel your pain. Nine hives made it through last winter, lost eight to an early bears. Seemed to be two different ones come.
    VT fish and game told me a lot of bears in the area and I could shoot it.
    I had a small solar charger fence. I decided to finally build a good fence with a plug in controller. Baited the fence with peanut butter. The bears showed up almost weeking all last summer but never got another hive. Would see them on the camera but nights I stayed up they wouldn’t come.

I had a long chat with an old timer, who would sit out in the Apiary with his shot gun, waiting for the bear.. Well the short of it was, when he was there the bear never showed up, when he was not there he would get hit. He surmised the bear has a keen sense of smell, would circle and approach from down wind and not come in if it was not safe.. He then left his boots and a coat (well worn and stinky) in the Apiary and the bear never came back. What I do is to take off my sweaty shirt after working the bees which under the suit can get damp and lets just say "has odor" I lay it on top of a hive with a brick on it. In the sun or rain It may need replacing in a week or so. Surprising how much the sun can deodorize a shirt. Leave an old shoe or well worn socks what ever you have on hand. If the bear thinks someone if there lurking in wait he will not come in. I would not advise replacing electric fence with this idea but use it to augment the fence, especially during high bear activity times. Hair from a Hair cutting shop also works. Get a couple shirts from a garage sale and have the smelly one in the family wear them for a week or so. The sun will somewhat tie die them in time so the sun will wreck the color after a few uses. My shirts I use for inspections get propolized any way so I just circulate them. Have a clean one in the car to put on after wards . pick up the week old one for the laundry. wash rinse repeat. My favorite is the long sleeve light blue cotton denim ones, collarless.

Also I am a proponent of SSS as a viable option.
    GG

V-Bee I kept bees in Virginia for about 8 years from Lexington to Appomattox. Most of our bear issues were solved by calling game and fish who always instructed us to shoot the bear. Its was never an issue in any of our yards. When I hear statements like "you can't kill bears in Virginia" from really inexperienced beekeepers I kinda feel the need to respond. Even when confronted with the State of Va. LAW, I'm being directed to the fine print ??. I assure you, killing bears in Va. is very legal upon proper notification.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by broncorm View Post
    I feel your pain. Nine hives made it through last winter, lost eight to an early bears. Seemed to be two different ones come.
    VT fish and game told me a lot of bears in the area and I could shoot it.
    I had a small solar charger fence. I decided to finally build a good fence with a plug in controller. Baited the fence with peanut butter. The bears showed up almost weeking all last summer but never got another hive. Would see them on the camera but nights I stayed up they wouldn’t come.
    I have a small solar charger (.50 joule) with netted fence and it gave a bear a jolt s/he will never forget. Perhaps yours was too small, not fully charged or, most likely, had a bad ground. J
    Last edited by Fivej; 04-05-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spellin

Have also been hit 2 nights ago. Black bear destroyed 4 hives. Did not have a fence up to deter the bear.

Now have the electric fence up using ac powered Patriot P20 energizer. Put up 4 lateral lines alternating positive
    and ground. I hope this is enough to deter a bear that already had the taste of the brood and honey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast