frame storage for wax moth prevention

Default frame storage for wax moth prevention

I'm thinking of building a bookshelf like shelving rack to store frames (I use wooden frames with plastic foundation) where the frames would hang openly on the bars, much like an open top frame hive but open, and with 3 or so tiers.
    It is my understanding that if the frames are stored like this, and they have enough light on them, the wax moths should leave them alone.

Question is: how much is enough light? does it have to be bright light? or will shaded light be sufficient? My options are to build this rack under a covered patio like area of our barn, which is open on three sides, but there would never be direct sunlight where the rack would be. Or I'd also like to maybe build a small covered rack out at the beehive and put under a tree canapy next to the hive, and this would be similar to a three sided firewood storage container similar to a firewood rack to protect them from the elements.

any idea on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: frame storage for wax moth prevention

dillon,

I built a framework in an unheated shed so that four tiers of frames could be hung inside of a clear glass window. It handles about 40 frames and the spacing between them is about the same as in a super. The sunlight on them is indirect and air is able to freely circulated between them. I store them this way all winter, but if concerned about WM larva you may want to freeze them before hanging them in this rack.

I have seen racks on casters that were perhaps 1 tiers high full of frames stored for the winter under roof in a three sided shed with a concrete floor with dapple shade and lots of air circulation. I think that sunlight, air circulation, and dry is the secret to preventing wax moth damage. Freezing winter temperatures is also a plus.

Cheers,
    Steve

Spray with Bt and put your frames in supers and store for the winter.

I thought I had this process down by storing wet frames or drawn comb in a weather tight tub after freezing....I have done this 4 years straight....Today when I go to load up some honey supers, I look in to the (3)-74qt tubs each that hold 22 frames and The worst one has webs and dead WM. the other tubs are not so bad but I can see dead wax moth not as bad as the first tub. All this must have happened in mid summer so everything in there lived and died 7-9 months ago....

So.....million dollar question, being my first exposure to a wax moth episode. What is the fate of the contents of the tubs? larva developed in to adults, and all I see are dead adults....

Springtime would be the same without bee keeping ANGST.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Spray with Bt and put your frames in supers and store for the winter.

Also, be aware of the exp. date which you have to get from the manufacturer via the batch #.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

This is how I store my honey supers. For whatever reason, people don’t believe it works. I’ve already taken several dozen out of the barn this month and placed on hives. They all look good.
    The only caveat is that they must have only contained honey. Brood frames are a different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8QSMvtEa28
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Yes that does work, Especially if stored in a sub freezing climate.. This will kill both flavors of larva WM and SHB. The drawn comb i usually just freeze and have not had a problem until last year....WM will only infest brood comb. SHB like honey/nectar comb.AND I usually spray with BTa, but perhaps my bag is old . I wish they sold this in much smaller packages because it only has a 2 year shelf life and you dont use much of it per gallon.

I went through 2 tubs so far and sure enough, only SOME of the dark brood comb was attacked...3 frames in one tub are cacooned together very interesting.

I know now what them miniature tootsie roll segments are that I see on an IPM board...they are either WM poop or casings... I have learned something.... There is only a little web caccooning on some of the frames that are not completely infested and I would think I could still use those..... What I didnt see were frames with wax moth burrowing into the wood......

The first tub that had the most we frames in it seems like a disaster and I will take a look tommorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    This is how I store my honey supers. For whatever reason, people don’t believe it works. I’ve already taken several dozen out of the barn this month and placed on hives. They all look good.
    The only caveat is that they must have only contained honey. Brood frames are a different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8QSMvtEa28

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post

Also, be aware of the exp. date which you have to get from the manufacturer via the batch #.

Alex

I have used BTa with very good results and have used the same bag I bought a few years ago...perhaps, this is why I had issues this year-expired XENTARI. It is good stuff and is safe for the bees.

This was my third Winter. I mixed it at twice the rate. There are a few small areas of damage on a few frames against the wood where I must not have gotten good coverage. Time for a new bag.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.