Uses for non working chest freezer

Default Uses for non working chest freezer

Well, the 20 year old chest freezer gave it up... will be replacing it with a new upright, but wondering if there is a use for the dead chest freezer.. could I store supers/frames in it without them molding? Or is there another use?
    I keep track of my hives using http://www.mybeekeeper.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Uses for non working chest freezer

If you need a big de-crystallizing cabinet for honey you could convert it to that.
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

You could make it into a hot room to heat the frames before extraction. Storage for frame before extraction to keep the bee away from the frame. I sure there is more ideas out their.

Warming cabinet. Store stock feed.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

Not bee related but would make a good storage bin for livestock feed. Keep vermin out. Reptile cage with lid change, especially good for semi aquatic lizards and turtles.
    Worm farm lol? Tank to keep minnows alive? Flamable liquids storage cabinet? Mini grow room? Stand it on its side, hang an adjustable height light, get a co2 tank, some aluminum foil, timer, old computer fan and you're growing tomatoes. Trash bin for end of lane to keep coons etc out. I like Capital's hot box for honey idea.

The rod and gun club I teach at made one into a smoker and they have a game smoking day every year. MMmmmm.......good.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've seen guys make them into big sand blast cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape71 View Post
    [...] wondering if there is a use for the dead chest freezer.. could I store supers/frames in it without them molding?
    Yes - either add a small bucket of silica gel (certain makes of cat litter are s-gel) to stop them from going mouldy - or - fit a small extractor fan (ex computer) to one end, near the top, and a vent at the other end, near the bottom. Cover each of those holes with a filter (a green washing-up scouring pad works great) to keep wax moths out, and vent for a few minutes every few days. Only place combs in that freezer that have spent 2-3 days in a working freezer beforehand, and Bob is your proverbial sister's brother.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I have an upright freezer that died, and for several years I have used it to store drawn frames. The door will hold three medium frames on each shelf. In the main compartment, I store deep frames in the back and medium frames in front. There is a little room on the sides where I can slip in a couple more frames, either size. I also arrange it so one shelf has partial frames, one older frames, one has foundation in various configurations, so I can find what I need without going through all the frames.

Make sure you plug up any holes where mice or moths can enter. My freezer is kept in the shed I use for equipment, and I have not had mold problems. If it just a little bit of mold, the bees will clean it up.

If you are a hobbyist, I think you would get the best use for it as a "hot box" to warm up your supers before extracting and for storage of combs. If you discover you have a mold issue during storage, I would drill some large holes in the bottom and top with a hole saw and cover them with hardware cloth for ventilation and use the cut out or larger piece of metal or wood for sealing it when you want to use it as a hot box. J

I made a honey warmer/incubator with an upright that I placed on its back. Mounted some small rubber wheels and can move it around where I need. I put a little $15 thermostatic controller that will turn on a couple of lights mounted inside. Large enough to set 6 10 frame medium bodies with no problem.
    Works great!

dave

I see all these suggestions to use as a hot box .... at what temperature does the plastic insides melt?
    I was thinking dry ice to freeze the comb inside, then when the dry ice sublimated to (CO2?), no oxy for the vermin to breath ... but wold that pose a hazard to human retreiving frames?
    Good luck with your bees. CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    at what temperature does the plastic insides melt?
    The plastic in a freezer is going to last a lot longer than the frames if you get it too hot. Most plastic will withstand boiling water OK, but everything in a beehive will be a puddle before reaching this temperature. If you keep the freezer below 120F you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    The plastic in a freezer is going to last a lot longer than the frames if you get it too hot. Most plastic will withstand boiling water OK, but everything in a beehive will be a puddle before reaching this temperature. If you keep the freezer below 120F you should be fine.
    Agreed - I fitted a soil-warming cable inside mine (http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/work01.htm - 3rd photo down) so that it can double as a 'hot box', as well as frame storage. Could use it for bulk honey warming, I suppose - if I should ever manage to reap such a crop.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/