First inspections - a personal video

Default First inspections - a personal video

First inspections of the season. This hive had already swarmed and was probably the source of the swarm I collected on March 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168BhB0fKUE&t=37s
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First inspections - a personal video

another good one dan!

was there any capped worker brood in there with backfilling? also not that many queen cells compared to what i typically see with swarming.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks sp!
    It was a strange one. I didn’t see any worker brood, which is worrisome. I would have expected a load of capped brood. It makes me wonder about that virgin queen I saw. I’ll give them another week and if I don’t find any brood I’ll act accordingly.
    My queenright colonies are boiling over with bees and brood….more videos to come, I’m thinkin’.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

understood dan. i'm leaning toward this one being more supercedure than swarming given the lack of brood, time of year, and low number of cells. it could be that the old queen still left with a swarm, it will be interesting to see how the brood looks in your caught swarm.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    it could be that the old queen still left with a swarm, it will be interesting to see how the brood looks in your caught swarm.
    Interesting that you should point that out. On inspection a week after, I realized that the caught swarm was queenless. It had a good population so I suspected that I simply didnít catch the queen. Iím sure a queen left with the swarm as they organized quickly on the tree. Was she failing, failed or did I simply not catch her with the swarm?
    I gave them a frame with a swarm cellÖ.

that is interesting. weird stuff happens sometimes. if she was failing/failed/dying, it's odd that so many workers would leave with her. it might not hurt to boost the parent hive with brood at some point to keep a good age mix in the colony and give it a shot at being more productive.

My thoughts at the moment are if, in a couple of weeks I don’t find any brood in the donor colony and the caught swarm appears to have a newly mated queen….I’ll just combine them. Otherwise, I’ll just shake them out. I’ll be doing a load of splits moving forward and will be reluctant to share any needed resources with them.

understood dan, sounds like a good plan. fingers crossed that virgin you spotted gets mated. a pollen patty on the caught swarm wouldn't hurt if you happen to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    understood dan, sounds like a good plan. fingers crossed that virgin you spotted gets mated. a pollen patty on the caught swarm wouldn't hurt if you happen to have one.
    I did give them a frame of pollen when I caught them. Since they have yet to make any brood....it should be untouched.....but I will give it a peek next week.

perfect.