thx for the help last year- more questions

Default thx for the help last year- more questions

After much mental debate last winter, I decided upon a long lang hive from the plans on "horizontalhive.com". GregV- thank you for the recommendation and advice! My dad made 2 of them for me as a 40th bday present, and I transferred my one colony to them last spring. I made two splits off that colony (it is a very strong one), and the original colony is in one hive, and the two splits are in the other. So far (fingers crossed!), they've made it through winter. Also, we've since realized that my husband has very strong reactions to stings. So it's a huge blessing that I don't need him anymore to cart full boxes.

I used the frames that I had with foundation in these, but I want to transfer to foundationless frames this year. I have googled and have done a search on Beesource, but I'm having difficulty finding out how to make the switch well. I know that I can just add the empty foundationless frames where I would typically add new ones as the season progresses. However, do you ever get rid of frames with foundation completely? Or will I always need to have the originals in there? This is only year 3 for me. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: thx for the help last year- more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kassafrass View Post
    [...] I know that I can just add the empty foundationless frames where I would typically add new ones as the season progresses. However, do you ever get rid of frames with foundation completely? Or will I always need to have the originals in there? This is only year 3 for me. Thanks!
    To get rid of the frames you don't want - either place them behind a couple of frames of honey (which will act as a Queen Excluder) - or - if you have a follower/division board (with a 2" or thereabouts gap at the bottom), then place them behind that. If the frames contain brood, just ensure that the queen isn't on them - the bees will then rear that brood 'where is', and eventually all those bees will migrate to the main hive area.

If the unwanted frames contain honey, then scarify the cappings with a fork before relocating them - then the bees will move that honey to where they want it. I don't know any way of getting the bees to move pollen - so that's the only loss usually encountered.
    Good luck,
    LJ

BTW, if your frames are regular 'foundation-frames' - that is, with wax foundation - then you can always 'convert' them to foundationless by replacing the wax foundation with a starter-strip (which can be made from a strip of that foundation ...).
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Thank you! I did not think of cutting down all these frames I already have! The foundation is plastic, but if I cut out the plastic and leave a starter strip, they should be ok with it, right?

And thanks for the follower board/behind honey frames help. Is there a book/source where I can find some of that information? I have a few, but they don't have more in-depth horizontal hive management info.

Default Re: thx for the help last year- more questions

Sure - by 'regular' I meant wooden frames (should have said so ...) - if they're wooden, then yes - pull the plastic foundation and replace it with a starter strip: popsicle sticks, paint-stirrer sticks or even a strip of wax foundation - whatever you have handy, and whatever fits. Almost anything works.

I don't know that much about plastic foundation - does it clip in & out ? If so, try and save it - you may be able to trade it for something ... Or even trade those frames complete with the plastic foundation ?

Can't help re: books - sorry - but there's plenty of horizontal management expertise here on BeeSource.
    'best,
    LJ

PS - bummer about your hubby's reaction to stings.
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/