5 frame nucs

Thread: 5 frame nucs

Default 5 frame nucs

what is the standard size for 5 frame nucs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 5 frame nucs

Quote Originally Posted by ron manos View Post
    um ...5 frames.
    Or are you asking about the make up of those 5 frames or the dimensions of the box that the 5 frames go in?

Ron,

There is no etched in stone dimension for 5 frame wooden nuc boxes. I purchase mine from Shastina and they are 9-1/8" x 9-5/8" x 19-7/8". The 9-1/8" width for me anyways leaves plenty of room to insert queen cages etc. Mann Lake makes theirs 9-5/8" wide and that for me is too wide. You can almost squeeze in 6 frames into their boxes. I don't recall exactly how Dadant cuts their 5 frame boxes. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

What do you mean by 'nucs' - nucleus colonies or nucleus boxes ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    Ron,

There is no etched in stone dimension for 5 frame wooden nuc boxes. I purchase mine from Shastina and they are 9-1/8" x 9-5/8" x 19-7/8". The 9-1/8" width for me anyways leaves plenty of room to insert queen cages etc. Mann Lake makes theirs 9-5/8" wide and that for me is too wide. You can almost squeeze in 6 frames into their boxes. I don't recall exactly how Dadant cuts their 5 frame boxes. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Agreed...someone had a nice chart of all the box manufacturers with all the width dimensions....since I started with ML 9 5/8, all my boxes that I make are also 9 5/8" just to keep a standard in my own apiary....ran into trouble with a candy board from Brushy mountain I think that was made for a smaller 5 frame nuc box ...was too small for my 5 frame ML boxes...ended up getting water in there from snow/rain and was a mess to clean up along with a big loss of bees from that colony....live and learn.

For me the larger cavity gives me room to work frames easier instead of being crammed in (1/4" more on each side of the box). Absolutely personal choice.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

The length, assuming 3/4" wood, is 19 7/8" with a 3/8" wide frame rest rabbet that is 5/8" deep. Sometimes I like to make them 3/4" which is a bit more top bee space (3/8" instead of 1/4") The depth, assuming a deep and a nailed on board for the bottom, is between 9 3/4" and 10 3/8" (in order to make the bee space at the bottom at least 1/4" and not more than 7/8"). I like to make them the width of a one by ten so I can just cut one 19 7/8" for the lid and again for the bottom. A one by ten is 9 1/4" wide.

So I cut the ends 7 3/4" x 10 3/8" (out of whatever scrap with the grain running any direction). The top and bottom 19 7/8" one by ten not ripped. The sides are 19 7/8" x 10 3/8".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

sorry about all the confusion. i wanted to know what the standard width is. so far we've got 9 1/8, 9 1/4 and 9 5/8.

>so far we've got 9 1/8, 9 1/4 and 9 5/8

Any of those will work. I don't think there is a standard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I started with Brushy Mountain equipment and now make all my own nucs to their dimensions. At 9-1/4" wide, all my stuff is interchangeable.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by ron manos View Post
    Typical inside dimensions of ANY box should be (# of frames * side bar width) + 1". If you use 1.375" self-spacing sidebar frames then 5 frame nuc inside dimensions would be 7 7/8" so the outside dimension with 3/4" thick lumber would be 9 3/8".

The 1" discount for any box is to leave space (wiggle room) for frame manipulation and for propolis buildup on the side bar over time. You can play with the wiggle room somewhat but never make it smaller than 3/8" (rolled queen) or more than 1 1/4" (burr comb). And with any box, always keep the frames tight together in the center of the box.

PS: I stick with a nuc boxes with the outside dimensions of 8 1/8" which is "exactly" half of full size box 16 1/4". This way I can use this "half box" to house five 1 1/4" wide frames (tight fit, only 3/8" wiggle room) or four 1 3/8" wide frames (loose fit, 1 1/8" wiggle room) and I can inter-changeably use the "half boxes" for double-nuc setup or independent colony or mating nuc etc. I am trying to have less number of variances in the equipments. I am all medium "full" or "half" box operation so far.
    Last edited by pjigar; 03-21-2019 at 08:58 AM.