Mann Lake RiteCell Foundation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mann Lake RiteCell Foundation

So I just opened my new case of Rite Cell and it is shockingly thin and flimsy as compared to last year. Has anybody worked with this new foundation and have any insight? I am in the process of preparing for spring splits and building upwards to a 1000 frames... and I am concerned about this new foundation... it also seems to have almost no wax on it.. another concern...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mann Lake RiteCell Foundation

Sorry....I have not gotten new rite cell...just the heavy stuff from last year....I will watch this thread to learn what's going on.......I liked the rite-cell from the past 2 years....the yellow...the black can be thrown in the garbage for all my bees are concerned. Hope you get it figured out.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

The rite-cell I got 2ish weeks ago seemed about the same as last year.

Any chance you got permadent instead since mann lake since this is thinner and they are now selling this also?

Sounds like you received ML's new foundation offering of Perma-Dent foundation that a lot of commercial beekeepers use for weight purposes. Check out page 29 in your 2019 catalog or search FN-405 on their website. I just got some for myself to test out. A ten pack of deep is almost 2 pounds lighter than their RiteCell. Perhaps they pulled the foundation when filling your order.

Quote Originally Posted by SSCBees View Post
    Sounds like you received ML's new foundation offering of Perma-Dent foundation that a lot of commercial beekeepers use for weight purposes. Check out page 29 in your 2019 catalog or search FN-405 on their website. I just got some for myself to test out. A ten pack of deep is almost 2 pounds lighter than their RiteCell. Perhaps they pulled the foundation when filling your order.
    I checked the box... that would be the what seemed to happen. Mystery solved

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    .......I liked the rite-cell from the past 2 years....the yellow...the black can be thrown in the garbage for all my bees are concerned.
    I don't understand the above statement. It may be too early in the morning for me.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    I don't understand the above statement. It may be too early in the morning for me.

Alex
    My apologies that I wrote it in a way you did not understand.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

AHudd

I think we've been down this road a few times before. Like bees would care what color the plastic is?? I like my Rite-Cell just like my coffee..black. Primarily its much easier to see when your rolling on additional wax, and its also much easier to see eggs on newly drawn comb.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Old enough now to agree with you Risky

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    AHudd

I think we've been down this road a few times before. Like bees would care what color the plastic is?? I like my Rite-Cell just like my coffee..black. Primarily its much easier to see when your rolling on additional wax, and its also much easier to see eggs on newly drawn comb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    Old enough now to agree with you Risky
    I apologized...but keep piling it on ...I have big shoulders. ... personal observation and personal choice. Sincerely sorry if it offends you.

I doubt it is a matter of being offended; just that that statement seems strange compared to the accepted opinion about color affecting acceptance of foundation. Your experience was such that you assume your bees do not like black foundation. I have seen reluctance with opened boxes that had sat for 3 or more years. Some foundations apparently were not waxed at all as purchased. Waxed or even double waxed is available from some makers at a premium price. Some other factors beside color may have come into play.
    Frank

It's all black with the outer cover on........
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I doubt it is a matter of being offended; just that that statement seems strange compared to the accepted opinion about color affecting acceptance of foundation. Your experience was such that you assume your bees do not like black foundation. I have seen reluctance with opened boxes that had sat for 3 or more years. Some foundations apparently were not waxed at all as purchased. Waxed or even double waxed is available from some makers at a premium price. Some other factors beside color may have come into play.
    If I recall, i never said it was because of the color...that was an assumption....I just mentioned that the color was black. other factors including lack of pre-wax come into playing a role.

If I recall, i never said it was because of the color...that was an assumption....I just mentioned that the color was black. other factors including lack of pre-wax come into playing a role.
    Here is what you said "I liked the rite-cell from the past 2 years....the yellow...the black can be thrown in the garbage for all my bees are concerned."

Yes I suppose you can say that you were not insinuating that your bees did not like black. Hmm! I see that I am not the only one being confused.
    Frank

you're good Kevin no big deal. I generally roll on a thin additional coat of my OWN wax because I happen to think it helps get the bees started faster. Bees will only draw out new foundation when they need the room. Its that simple. If they don't it could sit their for weeks until they do (regardless of the color). On strong nectar flows I like inserting foundation in between drawn comb in honey supers even above an excluder. I'm always looking to generate more drawn comb. Having said all this I recall using uncoated Rite Cell (on a strong nectar flow) because that was all I had on the truck, and the bees drew it out immediately.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

so...how bout them cubs....

I apologized...but keep piling it on ...I have big shoulders. ... personal observation and personal choice. Sincerely sorry if it offends you.
    Take a deep breath.
    I was not being facetious. This forum is populated by people from all over the world. Most areas have their own colloquialisms that some people have a hard time understanding. For instance, I am originally from Texas and you being a Yankee, if we were working together and I mumbled, " My Waffle", and walked away, you may misinterpret my actions as a desire to eat. Actually, waffle is anything I don't want to do. It is a contraction of, wife will.

So, you see there is no apology needed. I use black in my brood chambers for the reason RiskyBizz mentioned. I thought maybe you knew something about the black foundation that I hadn't considered.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I use black Rite Cell and have never added any additional wax. Might do a little side-by-side experiment this year to see if that additional step is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Take a deep breath.
    I was not being facetious. This forum is populated by people from all over the world. Most areas have their own colloquialisms that some people have a hard time understanding. For instance, I am originally from Texas and you being a Yankee, if we were working together and I mumbled, " My Waffle", and walked away, you may misinterpret my actions as a desire to eat. Actually, waffle is anything I don't want to do. It is a contraction of, wife will.

So, you see there is no apology needed. I use black in my brood chambers for the reason RiskyBizz mentioned. I thought maybe you knew something about the black foundation that I hadn't considered.

Alex
    7 years in TX.....Houston and Borger/Pampa...cannot say I ever heard "my waffle" on a construction site...lol.

so...how bout them cubs....
    Arrgh, you live in WI and you're a Cubs fan?

I think the biggest issue is the amount of wax on the foundation to begin with. I have just started using black Acorn -22G foundation and the bees took to it very fast. My greenish ritecell that I painted additional wax on, not as well. I have a bunch that I will need to rewax and hopefully get drawn this year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast