Can Our Friendship Survive This Competiton? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can Our Friendship Survive This Competiton?

I'd check the kits of those two when they go visiting the hives and see if there is any Bee Quick in the kit bag. All is fair in friends and bees.

I haven't resorted to the member list yet, but last years swarm calls are a good start.

Cheers, Phil in Fremont

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

We are taking our baithive competition to greater difficulty levels. We have set up a shootout at our old stomping grounds, the very difficult site in the Sunset District. Maybe you remember this thread:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...=san+francisco

Here are pictures of Host Bernard and Charlie setting up the entries on the top of a wall.

Charlie is already cheating at our San Francisco trapping site. First, he brags about placing other of his traps one mile away. This reduces my chances of a catch at our competition site and tripling his chances of catching the rare swarms in that area.
    Secondly, he has realized that the trap he set (not on his own of course, I told him) has an open screened bottom, which makes it less attractive to a swarm due to draft and light entry. He wants to go by and swap out his entry. I say no.....once entered and placed there is no changes or modifications allowed.

What do you think? Should I let him weasel out?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Charlie is already cheating at our San Francisco trapping site. First, he brags about placing other of his traps one mile away. This reduces my chances of a catch at our competition site and tripling his chances of catching the rare swarms in that area.
    Secondly, he has realized that the trap he set (not on his own of course, I told him) has an open screened bottom, which makes it less attractive to a swarm due to draft and light entry. He wants to go by and swap out his entry. I say no.....once entered and placed there is no changes or modifications allowed.

This is an epic David and Goliath battle where IM DAVID! I had completely run out of swarm traps and had to choose a screen bottom board for a bottom to one of our competitions sites. I have found two more proper traps in storage since. Since we had just set them last week and it’s been too cold and rainy here for the season to start, I want to switch it out to a five frame nuc like Ollie has at this particular so we can truly so Mano a Mano. I’ve offered to allow Ollie to place a trap at the site a mile away from our competition site as well.

I think this is reasonable!!!

Nope. Card laid is a card played.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Sorry Charlie, (my apologies to the tuna) but you already hold an unfair advantage over Ollie. You're better at it. See if you get one in the SBB trap. Then you would really have something to brag about!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If Danica Patrick starts a race in a red car they don't allow her to change to blue car after one lap. Or switch over to a convertible.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

If Danica Patrick starts a race in a red car they don't allow her to change to blue car after one lap. Or switch over to a convertible.
    Danica is so hot I’d let her!

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Sorry Charlie, (my apologies to the tuna) but you already hold an unfair advantage over Ollie. You're better at it. See if you get one in the SBB trap. Then you would really have something to brag about!
    Ya know, JW is right. Let it stand. If I win, I will truly have the mother of all victories and a lifetime of bragging rights!!!

Why not catch one, mark her, then demand the "steak dinner". Charlie will never know, and I will never tell.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Why not catch one, mark her, then demand the "steak dinner". Charlie will never know, and I will never tell.

cchoganjr
    Oh Cleo, I thought you’d side with me for sure! Where’s the love???

Charlie...Love is in the air.

I just love to keep it going.

cchoganjr

I was following this thread but I got lost at Danica,
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I was following this thread but I got lost at Danica,
    I can understand that!

B61881EE-DEC8-480F-956F-957B0E71DA0A.jpg

Rock Paper Scissors should work

The competition entered an additional site today. I am generously letting Charlie in in one of my swarm Honey Holes. I catch two big ones here every year. At least half a dozen hobbiests nearby. Notice we have selected special firewood off of the host's pile as additional lures. My two 8 frame Jumbos VS Charlie's 8 frame Lang. I used special rotting rattan chairs for one of my stands with that special three prong log on top. Should be a winning combination.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make sure Charlie doesn't put any honey robber in your traps Frank!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Charlie is being a sore sport again because my bait hives I placed yesterday are already attracting a crowd and his isn't. What does he expect? with his filthy white hive against my beautiful green Jumbos? See emails below:

To: Oliver Frank

Subject: Re: Bee hives on Marshall - greg

Oh f that!! Did you squirt Honey Bee Gone in my trap?

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM

Hello Oliver,
    Just to let you know your LGO hive is doing well already and the SCL is doing even better, But Charlie's LGO is not doing as well. The bees are fling around the wood logs on top on top of his LGO and your LGO, but they seem to have trouble finding Charlie's entrance. If he wants to come by at some point to check it out, that's okay for u
    Also thanks for the honey, the Hillsborough honey is nice, the other too, but we like the Hillsborough better, but both are greatly appreciated

Also we have 4 more of the 1 foot logs we are going to give away but you are welcome to them as free, just let use know.

Thanks,

Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12