Crystallization

Thread: Crystallization

Default Crystallization

I have had honey that stays smooth and doesn't seem to crystallize but I do know it depends on foraging and weather and moisture and such. I have a batch that even when I put it in my wax melter within a couple of weeks it's solid in the jars again. It also wants to have around an inch or so of sugar in the bottom of the jars and don't know if this can be fixed or not. Maybe try my hand at mead but would rather save this if I could. Thanks in advance, Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Can't fight honey that wants to crystalize. I just cut bait with my fall honey and make creamed honey with it. At least that way it has a pleasant texture.

Default Re: Crystallization

It's the ratio of glucose to fructose, the more glucose the quicker it tends to set up. Some tupelo honey is mostly fructose which is why it rarely crystallizes.

It will no longer be raw honey but if you heat it to 150 and hold it there for 15 minutes, then cool it to room temp quickly it will remain liquid for a good long while. To make creamed honey just add 10% seed, creamed honey, and let it work for 10 days or so. Google Dyce method for more info.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

If it's in a glass jar with a good lid, you can just put it in your dishwasher, if you have one, next time you wash dishes. We do that in the cool part of the year, when it gets warm/hot I put jars in my truck on the dash facing the sun.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments