update - please advise about insulation

Question update - please advise about insulation

Hi, all,

so here is an update about my situation. I could sure use some advice!

Please please remember I use a "square Lazutin" hive. I think it might be comparable to a Warre Hive, only I am using frames that are 17" deep in a 22" deep hive.

I installed a package yesterday, the queen died somehow. When I examined the interior of the hive I couldn't see any clear clump. But I may have missed something in the very front. I don't remember moving those bars.

It was cold last night and it is getting colder tonight, close to freezing. I'm going to add more insulation to the hive, and would love to hear about your techniques.

Thank!
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: update - please advise about insulation

The bees do not have brood to keep warm, so they are not at risk of dying from cold. As long as the hive is windtight, and they can cluster together, just get enough feed into them so they have like 2 frames full of food. I'm not sure how much you would have to feed for that, since your frames are deeper than a Lang.

You have time to get a queen in there... good luck!

Default Re: update - please advise about insulation

Thanks for the advice Trish!
    Quote Originally Posted by trishbookworm View Post
    The bees do not have brood to keep warm, so they are not at risk of dying from cold. As long as the hive is windtight, and they can cluster together, just get enough feed into them so they have like 2 frames full of food. I'm not sure how much you would have to feed for that, since your frames are deeper than a Lang.

You have time to get a queen in there... good luck!
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.