Response to a presentation - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Response to a presentation

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    These are easier/cheaper/faster to make than the full frames, work great, and have only few draw-backs compared to full frames.
    Hoffman type side bars:
    IMG_20180425_094521a.jpg

Not easier, but not difficult to make.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    So, when frames are added to a top bar hive it becomes something else, what type of modification could be implemented to render a TBH no longer a horizontal hive and still keep the name TBH? I'm having trouble picturing this.
    a vertical topbar hive , aka a warre
    We requested the change as the TBH is very a limited niche in much bigger universe of the horizontal hives.
    I would say there are many more horizontal top bar hive in circulation then long langs and the like, feels like a squeaky few getting the grease

I don’t know about his “we” stuff… I say keep the dissustion of langstroth hives and other frame OUT of the top bar forum. The management is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    It is certainly up to the site moderators to decide, but I feel very strongly that true topbar hive (with only topbars not frames, and bars that touch) are managed very differently than Long langstroth hives or double deep Layens hives. And I think that combining them into one subforum can lead to confusion for newbees that are looking for help.
    yep, you can see the confusion start to take hold in AHud’s post

whats next…. Discussion coffin hives here because they are long? ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I initially favoured the creation of additional sub-forums, but then recognised that this would create additional work for mods. A wider inclusion within existing sub-forums promised to be more acceptable, so I supported that idea (and still do).
    sure, lets add IMP breeding for mite restiance to the TF forum then!
    We don’t have an area for the discussion of mite resticant stock for us who are still willing to protect our livestock if we have to, while move the ball forward towards restiance, a gole MOST of us should be looking towards

At some point inclusion removes the whole point of a sub forum, witch is not to be inclusive. and given the state of the BS search function having narrow band sub fourms is quite helpful
    It seemed easy for the mods to add the new overwintering sub forum, my vote is we don't make the tob bar forum the catch all for random and rair long hives

I mean come on... The ( TTBH/KTBH) keepers that used to inhabit this forum will get little out of the of the dissustion of a long lang flow hive

Quote Originally Posted by viesest View Post
    Hoffman type side bars:
    IMG_20180425_094521a.jpg

Not easier, but not difficult to make.
    Again - yet another wrong assumption of some dependency on Hoffmans.
    Hoffman side bars are just not needed.
    At all.

Hoffman style frames spacers are not a rule and not a requirement and not a necessity.
    I don't make them anymore (once tried building such frames and stopped as a waste of time and material).

So, let me reiterate - simple top bars are simpler/faster/easier to make.
    I make them straight from a scrap pile.
    Since my hives are deep, I staple/screw ad-hoc side bars to them as additional comb support - again - from total junk.
    Like so:
    20170513_105502_Small.jpg

The final product works fine, like so:
    DSCN2476.jpg
    Last edited by GregV; 03-27-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    I mean come on... The ( TTBH/KTBH) keepers that used to inhabit this forum will get little out of the of the dissustion of a long lang flow hive
    I find this issue with "separation" a superficial one.

Fundamentally, we are here about managing movable combs on a single level.
    That is the real common denominator.
    Not the "touching bars".
    Here are my Layens rigs with "touchy bars" - here you go - a 100% TBH practical implementation that fits perfectly if to be technical.
    20180527_174559.jpg
    20180526_145000.jpg
    20180708_162955.jpg
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Hoffman side bars are just not needed.
    At all.
    I understand it now, it is horizontal stable hive, and the primary argument is "Hoffman style side bars are not needed".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234