Moldy Comb
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Moldy Comb

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cartersville, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Moldy Comb

    I left two of my traps out last year that didn't catch a swarm too long and my old frame of comb got very, very moldy. I may not have dried it good after spraying with xentari. If I had plenty of old comb I would trash it but all my bees made it through the winter so old comb is scarce. Should I spray it with bleach then wash and dry good in front of a fan, move it into a strong hive to clean up and use one of their still empty combs, or just put it in my trap and see what happens?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gainesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Moldy Comb

    Bees will swarm into moldy comb no problem. Better to have a little mold than the smell of bleach or something
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/RX-JxsOvb80 Swarm Control

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Izard County, AR, USA
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Moldy Comb

    You'd be amazed at how fast bees can clean up hella moldy comb, but if you have a frame that had bees on it recently, that might help convince swarm bees that it's viable place to live, so you can swap it out, but it probably doesn't matter.

    Swarms have probably always had to clean up moldy comb in their new home from the previous inhabitants. Of course, these days wax moths probably obviate that......

    Like most things with beekeeping, you do what makes you feel better, the bees probably couldn't care less. In my opinion/experience, anyway....
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    1,890

    Default Re: Moldy Comb

    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I left two of my traps out last year that didn't catch a swarm too long and my old frame of comb got very, very moldy. I may not have dried it good after spraying with xentari. If I had plenty of old comb I would trash it but all my bees made it through the winter so old comb is scarce. Should I spray it with bleach then wash and dry good in front of a fan, move it into a strong hive to clean up and use one of their still empty combs, or just put it in my trap and see what happens?
    Just set those moldy comb outside and let them air and get some sun (not TOO much so to melt them).
    Most of the mold will go away after air/ultra-violet treatment.
    No chemicals on it!

    Old combs are like gold for swarm chasers (moldy or not).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fremont, California
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Moldy Comb

    I spray down old moldy comb with a sprayer on the garden hose to wash out as much old stuff as possible, then throw it into an old 2 frame spinner to get all the water and debris out. A little time in the sun afterwards and it looks pretty good. Good enough for swarm traps.
    Otherwise, getting all the water out of comb is surprisingly difficult.

    Cheers,
    Phil in Fremont.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cartersville, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Moldy Comb

    Thanks for the replies. I put them out in the sun for a day and will use them as needed. I now have 5 boxes out and two more to go.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •