What is your annual Honey production?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is your annual Honey production?

The title says it all, I am curious how much Hone the average hive produces annually, And how may extractions you do a year. My mentor did his in 3 extraction one spring one at the end of Clover bloom and one at the end of fall. But I only seem to ever get two. If you have not tracked and cannot offer an "average" Don't tell me about what you have read. I want to hear from beekeepers about their personal experiences.
    Last edited by I'llbeedan; 03-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What is your allual Honey production?

It varies a lot by location, the weather, the amount of hives in the area, and the plants in the area. I don't have enough experience to say what you will get in my area, and yours is definitely different.

the published state average according to the usda in NY is 55 lbs, personally I have never know a bee keeper with any experience in NY that averaged that low. but I suspect the commercial guys are the primary source of input.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Right around 100 lbs. One extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Right around 100 lbs. One extraction.
    Michael:

How many days does it typically take to remove your supers and extract them all?

It varies

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    the published state average according to the usda in NY is 55 lbs, personally I have never know a bee keeper with any experience in NY that averaged that low. but I suspect the commercial guys are the primary source of input.
    NC state average according to the usda is about 35 lbs (give or take a pound or two per year). Everyone I talk to on Beesource says "any beekeeper worth his salt will beat USDA averages" or "I've never known a beekeeper to be that low." Maybe that's true in NY, but it isn't true in NC.

Every year I get between 34 and 38 lbs per colony on average. Every other local beekeeper I know is in the same boat. Some colonies do 90 lbs. Other colonies are dinks and do 0 lbs (or die). In the end, I hit state average (or a little better).

If I were to exclude all my dinks and deadouts, I'd do much better than state average. But that's not how it works.

And I have one extraction per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    "any beekeeper worth his salt will beat USDA averages" or "I've never known a beekeeper to be that low." Maybe that's true in NY, but it isn't true in NC.
    you have to remember most of the input comes from the commercial beeks, most are off pollinating until most of the early flows are done. They come back for goldenrod pretty much, now I'm sure they don't count all that honey they get pollinating as part of the NY totals. Mark (sqrwk?) who used to post on here got into a discussion about this, he comes back to NY for apples and stays, said he averages 55 lb, also don't forget many of these guys put 40 hives in a yard, one guy was putting 80 in a yard by me.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    you have to remember most of the input comes from the commercial beeks
    What value would the statistics be if it DIDN'T come primarily from commercial beeks? They own the vast majority of the hives in most states. They should be reporting the vast majority of the numbers that comprise the honey statistics. If they didn't, it would be an accurate average.

Although the difference in states may change things. NC isn't notorious for bringing in commercial operators for honey production.

Thank you Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Michael:

How many days does it typically take to remove your supers and extract them all?
    We can extract a couple tons a day. Try to have two in the field and two in the shop. Doesn't always work out that way. Takes about a month to harvest and extract 25-35 tons.

Iím a 5 th year hobbyist and always kept 2 hives (Carniolan bees in double 8-frame deeps plus honey supers, in part shade locations, Zone 8) for honey harvest, but the only year both hives were in perfect conditions throughout spring - fall was 2016. I guess commercials would get several times more lbs than I do.

Honey lb per hive
    2015; 5 lb (package installation, one harvest in fall)
    2016; 40 lb (3 harvests, late spring, summer and fall)
    2017; 25 lb (weak overwintered colonies, 2 harvests in summer and fall)
    2018; 24 lb (hives swarmed in early summer, 2 harvests in late spring and summer)
    Zone 8, elevation 70 ft, North Seattle area.
    Bee plants and their pollen. https://chabol.wixsite.com/mysite

That is what the surveys keep asking me and I keep telling them
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

Not sure on the average. This is just a hobby to me. All I want is to have some fun and have my hobby pay for itself. I extract twice a year. Before the sourwood flow and afterwards.

here you go an olde but goode thread about the same question

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...r-hive-average
    mike syracuse ny

Thumbs Up Re: What is your allual Honey production?

It's just an out of control hobby for me. I put the bees in third week March and shake them out by the end Sept. my APH is 130+. 2016 was 200+ lb. APH year. I start extraction in July and finish Sept.
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 03-18-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: maybe not a hobby

This is considered a 60 lb area. I have had some years a bit better than 75 lb and last year the worst at about 40 lb each on the few hives I supered. Taking this amount of honey results in double deep hives that weigh around 100 lbs gross weight end of August and then require about 30 lbs each of sugar to be fed to get them to wintering weight.
    Frank

Here in NorCal hives vary a lot in production. Ones in irrigated areas maybe average 50 lbs, ones in more rural less than that. I usually harvest twice, ones in May and once in Sept. Best year was 2017 when I got just over 1,000 lbs for the year from about 15 hives. Last year it was half that for no particular reason I can tell.

In NY starting my 3rd season. I started with a purchased ow-nuc and package. First season got about 100lbs from the nuc/that grew to a production hive and second season I got about 135lbs each from 2 hives. I tare and weigh each container I fill.

Default Re: What is your annual Honey production?

I'm extracting between 2 and 3, 5 gallon buckets in the Spring. One extraction. Any Fall honey stays in the hives, or kept in the freezer to feed back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast