Trapping 2019 - success rate? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Trapping 2019 - success rate?

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    But since the traps burn no gasoline, use no electricity, and don't eat - set them out I say.
    Now that's a motto I can get behind- best of success to you in your trapping efforts.

Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Now that's a motto I can get behind- best of success to you in your trapping efforts.

Russ
    Sounds you've been dragging down some swarms, Russ.
    Now that's a good deal.
    Fingers crossed for some ferals.

Pretty soon the southern reporters could probably be reporting the preliminary success #s / trap #s.
    The final success rates, anyone?
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Sounds you've been dragging down some swarms, Russ.
    Now that's a good deal.
    Fingers crossed for some ferals.

Pretty soon the southern reporters could probably be reporting the preliminary success #s / trap #s.
    Gregv,

The swarm season has been early around here. I think it is tailing off now. Not much heavy scouting any more.

I've caught 3 swarms, one free-hanging, but only two trapped. One 3 lbs, one 1lb.

Call me 2/7.

I'm heavily baiting a couple traps again, ala Soars. I'll update if things change. :-)

Do you get half credit for catching your own swarms?

Do you get half credit for catching your own swarms?
    In my opinion - it is a full credit.
    We are not terribly concerned with the source of that swarm.

A trap dragged down a swarm for you OR not - it is a binary choice.
    This means there was something good about the trap configuration and placement (by your actions or by accident).

To consider, set out an empty computer box, make a hole in it, and do nothing else.
    Your own swarm will most likely ignore it or not even find it.
    So the trap configuration by you, the trapper, does matter to make the trap findable and attractive.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

In my opinion - it is a full credit.
    We are not terribly concerned with the source of that swarm.
    Thanks, GregV. I was lightheartedly asking the question at an attempt at humor. That said, I think your idea of a community evaluation of what worked (and what didn't) with their swarm trapping efforts is a great and worthwhile endeavor.

Sorry to take the thread a bit off-focus.

Russ

Seems last week was a good week here in far Western Ky. 2 swarms caught in traps on opposite ends (east/west) of McCracken County.

Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Seems last week was a good week here in far Western Ky. 2 swarms caught in traps on opposite ends (east/west) of McCracken County.
    robber,

Good job! How many does that make for you? What is your score, ie "catches/traps"?

2/7. Still keeping all 7 baited. What's crazy is one swarm arrived exactly a year from the one I missed last year (May 7).

2/7. Still keeping all 7 baited. What's crazy is one swarm arrived exactly a year from the one I missed last year (May 7).
    Ha ha. We are tied. However, I think the swarm activity is on the wane here. Last year I had heavy scouting in July at one trap, but no catch. Here's hoping you catch at least 2 more for over 50%.

Was your miss last year heavy scouting with no catch?

Way to go, Robber! Given how cold and wet it has been here of late, I expect we might have another week - 10 days of swarm activity with the projected forecast of warm and dry for later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Ha ha. We are tied. However, I think the swarm activity is on the wane here. Last year I had heavy scouting in July at one trap, but no catch. Here's hoping you catch at least 2 more for over 50%.

Was your miss last year heavy scouting with no catch?
    Embarrassingly, no. Last year I decided to get into beekeeping about April and no idea what I was doing. Put a trap out Saturday and huge swarm came Monday (beginner's luck). I was not prepared and by the time I got some equipment they left.

Way to go, Robber! Given how cold and wet it has been here of late, I expect we might have another week - 10 days of swarm activity with the projected forecast of warm and dry for later in the week.
    I agree. Actually saw some scouting on a trap yesterday surprisingly with it being overcast and chilly.

Got a new location on a farm nearby - probably my practical max - 7 locations.
    7 has been my lucky number and I better stick with it and do the best I can.

A standard 60 liter box (two Lang medum boxes fused together; really really well primed - a bee dream home).
    This one is sitting by a horse manure pile (just to the left of the frame, if facing the trap).
    A great out yard spot I feel, facing East-SouthEast.

20190511_155341.jpg

A standard 60 liter box (two Lang medum boxes fused together; really really well primed - a bee dream home).
    GregV:

Are you going to experiment with entrance quantity/placement? I recall that many of your hives are set-up with configurable entrances.

GregV:

Are you going to experiment with entrance quantity/placement? I recall that many of your hives are set-up with configurable entrances.
    Probably not.
    Now that I almost completed the summer-winter-summer cycle, I made my conclusions (posted into the experiment thread).
    During the most stressful time in my area (late winter/early spring/weakened colony), this is what the bees clearly demonstrated.
    20190424_145921.jpg

Also, during the robbing event I observed this spring - they defended the upper hole well, but the lower entrance not so well (had to plug in the lower entrance).

Basically, I am sticking to my model going forward - 1x1x1x2 (as pictured).
    20180924_155832.jpg
    Last edited by GregV; 05-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Basically, I am sticking to my model going forward - 1x1x1x2 (as pictured).
    20180924_155832.jpg
    10-4. Good luck with your trapping efforts.

Thumbs Up Re: Trapping 2019 - success rate?

10-4. Good luck with your trapping efforts.
    I'd be darned - someone in my area caught a swarm today.
    He also posted a thermo-picture of the swarm.

It is so hot, it is just cool.
    2DFC8DAE-32E8-4E6B-9AF3-F33AEF009A5C.jpeg

Better finish the setups quick now!
    I guess we are ON.

Put out 6 traps and so far have 5 swarms. One was in my yard though, at lest it didn't leave. All of my swarms have been small this year and my bees started swarming several weeks before I got hits on my traps. Don't understand that.

As of this morning, my 7 trapping locations are set (active or potential out-yards, really). Whew.
    Another cold, rainy day here today.
    Hopefully, some swarms are building in up around the area; the cold/rainy spring is not necessarily bad for the swarm hunters.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast