Trapping 2019 - success rate? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Trapping 2019 - success rate?

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    IT'S NOT TOO LATE!........
    Whatever! I'm pretty thrilled right now.

See?

I am still hopeful to improve my current 2/7 standing - about a month to go for that.
    Though the best seasoned nuc hives are in usage now (not great for the trapping program).

Not that I need any more bees.
    I really don't at the moment.
    Just being greedy.
    But capturing someone else's escaped Russian queen never hurts either.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    It is with deep sadness that I must report that I had my *** handed to me by Oliver this swarm season. He was generous enough to allow me to compete at some of his catch areas and it was a rout everywhere.

It is much to painful for me to go into any detail so I will not be taking questions at this time.

Charlie should not be so modest. He did manage to Tom Sawyer me into allowing him to set traps at my sites where he caught one at two sites. This of course lowers my annual count as his catches could have been mine. Then he Tom Sawyered me into giving him two of 28 queen cells I raised AND mating them at MY yard with MY drones. What is he going to swindle me out of next?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post

Whatever! I'm pretty thrilled right now.
    Way to go, AR1. Catching your own counts too...

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Way to go, AR1. Catching your own counts too...
    I am astounded that they swarmed. That hive was a swarm I got May 30 or 31. They built up fast and I removed the queen into a nuc July 16th to make new queens. I then split that hive into 3 once I had a bunch of queen cells.

So from one swarm in May I now have 5 hives. Not sure how many are queen-right. Figure I'll probably be combining some of these later if the queens don't pan out.

Be careful AR1, you will become a swarm addict like Oliver and I.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

If I could be half as skilled at trapping as you and OdFrank are, I'd be thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    If I could be half as skilled at trapping as you and OdFrank are, I'd be thrilled!
    It is just these two seems to be doing it "full-time" and on a scale of hundreds sites.
    Haha..
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Oh, already addicted. It's fun like the lottery, except I actually win occasionally. I've had a dozen or so traps out every year for 3 or 4 years now and always gotten at least one swarm. This year two, and both at my home. Plan for tomorrow is to visit my distant traps for a look. Been about two weeks so anything could be in there, maybe a winning Lotto ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    It is just these two seems to be doing it "full-time" and on a scale of hundreds sites.
    Haha..
    We are not doing it at hundreds of sites or even hundreds of traps. Nor do we do it full time. The only reason we catch a lot is that we are Piss Poor Beekeepers and have a lot of black comb from all of our dead outs. And live in a favorable climate that supports a lot of hives both domestic and feral. Any idiot can catch a bait swarm if there are swarms to be caught. We just fill a box with some black combs, drip in some LGO or SCL and set it out in some convenient place. Neither of us climb ladders or hang traps from trees. At our competition sites this year we sat traps on a seat wall, decaying raffia chair, decks stairs and tables. I have caught 38, which in the past 10-15 % do not take. This picture is our competition at Charlie's cabin in a redwood forest. We both failed to catch one there this year. Not many swarms in redwood forests.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    We are not doing it at hundreds of sites or even hundreds of traps. Nor do we do it full time. ......

I was, of course, kidding (which I normally do, smiley or not).
    Nevertheless - you, guys, are the champions in this department.
    CA climate helps too if any idiot can catch a swarm in sub-tropics.

Unfortunately, I lost one of my most dependable locations.
    That, probably cost me a swarm or two this season (landed two there last year).
    Sniff....

PS: the "eagle" went quiet somewhere;
    as I probably correctly predicted - the "bee thieves" moved their bee stash yard - no more hundreds and hundreds of swarms.

I think more of myself as a mite and wax moth farmer rather than a skilled and experienced beekeeper!!
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

I am pretty sure my final # for the year - 2/7.
    Less then I expected.
    But I also lost a very productive trapping yard.
    Oh well, I have more bees than I have winter-worthy equipment anyway.

Great trapping year. 5/0 Trapped 5 swarms in my dooryard. Set out no traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Great trapping year. 5/0 Trapped 5 swarms in my dooryard. Set out no traps.
    Well, considering I got both swarms in my own yards (the backyard and an out-yard 1/2 miles away) - I got 2/0 then.
    All my traps are just empty hives in my own yards.
    Hehe...

OK, 5/0 math does not work.
    Division by zero problem.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789