Trapping 2019 - success rate? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Trapping 2019 - success rate?

Quote Originally Posted by nickhefferan View Post
    Southwest Michigan, greater Fennville/Kalamazoo River region

Five traps I put out this year:

all new boxes - scrap wood, about 40L volume...........

This reminds me my first trapping season - all new boxes - zero swarms.
    Any time you have a chance to "prime" some of these new boxes - do it - even as a quick, temporary nuc/split if that comes along.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nickhefferan View Post
    July 15th - that same trap that had been scouted has now been occupied by a swarm.
    Congratulations, Nick. You've now entered the elite company of successful bee swarm trappers .

Good luck to you the rest of the year.

Russ

I put 4 traps out this year, and got the same results as every other year - none. (The traps are used deep boxes, some have old comb, all have a puff of Swarm Commander under the cover and on the landing board. But set about a foot off the ground, which is obviously less than ideal.)

I'll try again next year. Looking for that magic location.

2nd swarm caught on July 12th. This was in the same spot that I caught one last month. It was a big one that went into both nuc boxes.
    Swarm commander has paid for itself! 2019-07-17-10-28-21[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    2nd swarm caught on July 12th. This was in the same spot that I caught one last month. It was a big one that went into both nuc boxes.
    Swarm commander has paid for itself! 2019-07-17-10-28-21[1].jpg
    Spencer:

Now that it is a neat photo- thank you for sharing. I assume there was only one queen?

Did you ultimately end up combining both halves or did you make both queenright?

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I put 4 traps out this year, and got the same results as every other year - none.
    Bushpilot:

Sorry to hear about you striking-out. Are there any local bee clubs / forums you can get on where you could attempt to locate existing feral colonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Spencer:

Now that it is a neat photo- thank you for sharing. I assume there was only one queen?

Did you ultimately end up combining both halves or did you make both queenright?
    I did combine them into a single deep with 1 drawn comb and 9 new frames w/foundation. They are now bearding and about half are inside the hive with the eggs the queen is laying. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    I did combine them into a single deep with 1 drawn comb and 9 new frames w/foundation. They are now bearding and about half are inside the hive with the eggs the queen is laying. Weird.
    Interesting- I suppose either way it's free bees, right?

Congratulations on the nice-sized swarm catch.

Russ

It sure is interesting having a trap at my front door where I can watch the action. Had a huge surge of scouts a week or so ago, then it dwindled to a handful and the swarm never came. This morning it was a second huge surge, maybe a hundred bees swarming the front entrance and all around the seams and edges trying to get inside. Defending the front entrance were (I guess) the same handful that had been hanging out there all week. The new bees slaughtered the old bees and now they are lying dead all around the front of the hive and on the landing board. One group of scouts killing another group? Swarm coming in? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    ....... One group of scouts killing another group? Swarm coming in? Who knows.
    Yep. Killed them. Does happen.
    A swarm someplace has serious plans for your trap - went into a killing spree.
    Best of course to have two swarms coming over in few days, and grab them both.

But is not up to your to decide.
    The beekeeper on the other end can throw a monkey wrench into your program too. Hehehe.... You hope - not.

I vacated a couple of mobile nucs and keep them at the "ready".
    Just nothing is happening here.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Killing each other is usually a good sign. They almost always arrive after those bloodbaths, but I had one rumble after which they didn't.
    I had this nice one fly in yesterday after weeks of scouting:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I admit to hoping the other beekeeper is not very competent.

I admit to hoping the other beekeeper is not very competent.
    It also can be a very competent keeper - with his/her hands full and such.
    Big guys often don't chase down after each and every swarm - have bigger fish to fry.
    And then life happens also sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    It also can be a very competent keeper - with his/her hands full and such.
    Big guys often don't chase down after each and every swarm - have bigger fish to fry.
    And then life happens also sometimes.
    I have spotted 5 backyard beehives within a half-mile of my house. Those are just the ones visible from the street I happened to drive past, so I imagine there are more.

I have spotted 5 backyard beehives within a half-mile of my house. Those are just the ones visible from the street I happened to drive past, so I imagine there are more.
    I suppose one will easily spot a "big guy" operation nearby - it is true.
    I don't know of big guys near me either - good thing in many ways.

Anyway, fingers crossed for you.
    Hopefully this hot and muggy weekend you'll get to watch a swarm moving in.

Brood from bait hive catch in foggy weather area.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

My garage got invaded by scouts again this afternoon. These bees are driving me batty. They were investigating the one box I had left in there, a ten deep with a few leftover frames that didn't get put out for a trap this year. I moved it outside next to the garage and eventually most of the scouts did as well. They were mobbing that thing, but will they ever actually come?

Honestly I considered just leaving it in the garage to see what would happen, and just telling my wife 'oops!' but I was afraid of them nesting in the car or some other unhappy place. There are now 3 traps across the front of my house and all three are getting visitors. I can't imagine what the neighbors thing those things are.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!

I just caught a swarm! My own bees in my own back yard. My daughter looked out and said "Those bees look mad!"

Thousands, swirling around in the air. I geared up and went out back. They certainly were not aggressive, so I decided swarm. It was fun watching them come pouring tumbling out the entrance and taking off. Fortunately, they lit in a small apple tree about 20 feet in front of the hive. I grabbed a hive body, clipped the branch and shook them in and slapped a top on. Then stole a frame of brood from another hive and stuck it in, and a frame of food from the home hive and stuck that in too. Loads of excitement, since I have never seen a swarm in action before.

This hive was queenless and just 2 days ago I heard piping, so a swarm with a virgin queen?

Whatever! I'm pretty thrilled right now.

It is with deep sadness that I must report that I had my *** handed to me by Oliver this swarm season. He was generous enough to allow me to compete at some of his catch areas and it was a rout everywhere.

It is much to painful for me to go into any detail so I will not be taking questions at this time.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 08-01-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

I hope Ollie was kind enough to use a silver platter when he served you! Bragging rights to odfrank.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast