Trapping 2019 - success rate? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Another reminder that we are not in control. :-)
    And that is half the fun right? Kind of like fishing...sometimes you get a nibble and no catch, and sometimes nothing and then suddenly a pleasant surprise. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trapping 2019 - success rate?

I'm an hour south of you, a bit warmer but about the same this year. Chilly and wet. I am still wearing wool socks and a jacket indoors at night.
    My one catch seems to be thriving but I am gritting my teeth and not opening the box until I think there are new bees. That will be in 3 more days at the earliest if the queen started laying the day she moved in!
    Around here you can get swarms in July so I am not giving up hope. We get heavy flow in the Fall so a July swarm can make it. A neighbor had a swarm land in a tree in October!

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    ....Around here you can get swarms in July so I am not giving up hope. We get heavy flow in the Fall so a July swarm can make it. A neighbor had a swarm land in a tree in October!
    No doubt.
    One of my survivors this season - mid-July 2018 swarm.
    Weather permitting, we can have a continuous flow here into October.
    The weather is the decider.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Big fat zero swarms caught by swarm trap this season. Which is unusual, but my fault.

My swarm boxes typically have 8 frames with no foundation and a squirt of Swarm Commander in them. I have caught many swarms every year with this set up and could probably catch many more if I put more time into it.

But this year, despite all conventional wisdom that says "Don't Do It," I decided to put a couple frames of old brood comb in the middle and 6 frames with foundation. I was tired of catching a swarm and having to cut out and reassemble the wonky comb they always built in my swarm traps.

Most of what I read said that it would not work. It didn't. Some things you just have to see for yourself. Lessons learned.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Big fat zero swarms caught by swarm trap this season. Which is unusual, but my fault.

My swarm boxes typically have 8 frames with no foundation and a squirt of Swarm Commander in them. I have caught many swarms every year with this set up and could probably catch many more if I put more time into it.

But this year, despite all conventional wisdom that says "Don't Do It," I decided to put a couple frames of old brood comb in the middle and 6 frames with foundation. I was tired of catching a swarm and having to cut out and reassemble the wonky comb they always built in my swarm traps.

Most of what I read said that it would not work. It didn't. Some things you just have to see for yourself. Lessons learned.
    Why would that not work? Seems like if you have the old brood comb you would attract swarms. Is it because of the foundation?

I have not tried Swarm Commander. Maybe that's why I usually only get one or two swarms a year.

Why would that not work? Seems like if you have the old brood comb you would attract swarms. Is it because of the foundation?
    AR1: I guess one season and 4 swarm traps does not scientifically prove much. But these locations and boxes are always fruitful when configured with foundationless frames. Yes, I believe that the foundations served as "barriers" and did not allow the bees to assess the full volume of the space they had to work with (42 liters).

I don't KNOW that at all, but it makes sense to me. If anyone has thoughts about that, I would like to hear them.

AR1: I guess one season and 4 swarm traps does not scientifically prove much. But these locations and boxes are always fruitful when configured with foundationless frames. Yes, I believe that the foundations served as "barriers" and did not allow the bees to assess the full volume of the space they had to work with (42 liters).

I don't KNOW that at all, but it makes sense to me. If anyone has thoughts about that, I would like to hear them.
    I will usually put a few medium frames in over the entrance to create a gap area. Don't know if it helps or matters. Wouldn't be hard to pop the plastic out of a bunch of frames to open it up inside.

I decided to put a couple frames of old brood comb in the middle and 6 frames with foundation.
    I am curious of this case.

What type of foundation?
    Plastic?
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I am curious of this case.

What type of foundation?
    Plastic?
    Yes. Plastic.

My assumption is that the scout bees will explore prospective homes and measure them for volume. Seeley's Democracy book has an illustration of how they do this. What I am guessing is that they can't determine the full extent of the cavity because the frames with foundation do not leave an impression that the box is an open 40 liters.

Obviously have no idea if I am correct or not about that. If they were desperate for a home, they would likely make do. But this is a heavily wooded area with no lack of housing.

Thanks for clarification.
    Could be a useful detail - to avoid plastic foundation in traps.

I would blame on the plastic foundation (whatever was its impact - smell, impermeability, etc).
    Especially, if the bees in your location have a good real estate market, they probably took better options.
    Someone should do a study and see if (given a choice) bees will avoid plastic in their nests.

I watch tons of swarm trapping videos from Eastern Euro (like an obsession anymore).

The trappers (those I keep track of) care the least of the Seeley's book.
    In fact, none of them ever heard of him or his books and yet they could teach him few things about trapping.

They do care to fill the traps with the very well used combs and often mix them up with natural wax foundation (checker-board).
    These methods work very, very well - regardless of existing natural combs in the cavity (potentially) preventing the bees from cavity volume measurements.
    Most everyone wants efficient trapping - catch a swarm/hive it/return the trap into rotation quickly (none of that cut-out business with crazy, wild combs).

OK, I guess I will continue doing what I am doing - using the old combs in the traps.
    I don't use plastic foundation so will not get too concerned about it.
    Last edited by GregV; 06-21-2019 at 04:51 PM.

2/7.

At this site I have:
    - one active hive going (well, went there today to break them up and found the bonus - this fresh swarm - likely just moved-in yesterday);
    - a very cool 30 liter log trap I just refreshed the combs and fixed up, upper entrances too (but never lived-in before - that seems to kill off many chances);
    - a very well primed 40-50 liter nuc box with 3 old frames in it and bottom entrance, only about 1-2 feet above ground.

IMG_20190630_152546.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172846.jpg

The bees voted for the "very well primed 40-50 liter nuc box".
    I wish they took the log hive and stayed in it as-if ferals.
    A smaller swarm (covers 3 Dadant frames).
    But today is only June 30th and pasture around is great for another 2-3 months, and they should do fine (unless very mite'y and not mite-hardy enough).
    Gave them 3 more half-build frames for work and left alone just as-is for now.
    Will move them later to a different yard when have time.
    I got the yard #7 to populate - so now I have bees for it.
    Last edited by GregV; 07-01-2019 at 08:30 AM.

I have had 5 traps out with LGO in them this year. Normally catch 1 or 2 but this year, zero. Doesn't help that someone keeps shutting the entrance on 2 of them, have the metal discs to be able to open and shut the openings. both of the traps in question take quite a bit of effort to move the disc, but 90% of the time I check them they are shut. Anyone else having things like that happen or am I just the lucky one.

First I’ve heard of that! Maybe change your trap sites???
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBarbee View Post
    I have had 5 traps out with LGO in them this year. Normally catch 1 or 2 but this year, zero. Doesn't help that someone keeps shutting the entrance on 2 of them, have the metal discs to be able to open and shut the openings. both of the traps in question take quite a bit of effort to move the disc, but 90% of the time I check them they are shut. Anyone else having things like that happen or am I just the lucky one.
    Take the discs completely off.
    You don't need them as a critical trap piece.
    Yet they make closing the traps "for you" by someone/something way TOO easy.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBarbee View Post
    I have had 5 traps out with LGO in them this year. Normally catch 1 or 2 but this year, zero.
    I know you are a ways away from me, but it sounds like it has been a slow swarm season here. I am on the local swarm call list and have not been called yet. I emailed one of the dispatchers and he said he has only had a few (less than 5) swarm calls.

Could it be? Been watching bees congregate in front of my front porch AGAIN! They were bugging me inside my garage and I noticed they were not acting like foragers. They were circling the walls and investigating holes in the ceiling (plumbing repairs). No, do not want a swarm in my garage. So I quick took my boxes outside on the front steps and stuck in all the used frames I could find, along with two drops of lemongrass at the back. Now, two hours later there are hundreds of bees going crazy out there.
    I worked last night, a 13 hour shift at the hospital, then I came home and seal-coated my driveway. So I am soooo beat, but no way can I sleep now. I slept through the last swarm that came to my front porch. No way I'm missing this one! Pics later (assuming the swarm actually does show up!)

At least some action is happening elsewhere.
    Quiet here.
    July flow is going too - pretty normal to be quiet for now - but the season is not over.

The swarm #2 here (pretty darn sure now - based on the bees that I watched) was at once scouting my backyard porch trap (8 feet above ground) AND the tree grove mini-yard trap (2 feet above ground; half-mile away from the porch).
    So the grove trap won for any old reason.
    This time the scouting went for 1-2 weeks, almost non-stop, with slight pauses.
    When the scouts dropped of from the porch trap I thought - darn! the keeper must have made a split or something - well, turns out I was competing with myself. Haha!

Southwest Michigan, greater Fennville/Kalamazoo River region

Five traps I put out this year:

all new boxes - scrap wood, about 40L volume
    with foundationless extra-deep frames
    one frame with brown brood comb
    and a baggie with papertowel and 8 drops of lemon grass oil in them.
    hung about chest-to-head height on trees in the forest within a 6 mile radius of my house.

so far this season:
    May 30 - one trap had scouting , but that didn't result in a swarm.

June 14th - called to collect a swarm hanging near someones deck on the lakeshore, took down one swarm trap to help collect the swarm.

July 15th - that same trap that had been scouted has now been occupied by a swarm.

The other traps are still hanging, planning to leave them up through August.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Nick - SW Michigan, Zone 6b (Lake Effect, ya know?). Extra Deep Horizontal Hives.

Well the hoped-for swarm on my front steps didn't materialize. There are still a handful of bees that seem to have taken up residence. Perhaps scouts that really liked the place and can't give up hope. It's funny watching them sun themselves on the front step and groom. They defend the entrance too, just as if they had a hive behind them. Still some hope.

Plan for today is to find the queen from my late May swarm catch and sequester her in a nuc, and hope to get some queen cells started, then do the fly-back in 10 days. That hive is really doing well. They have a second deep full of nectar (maybe some capped now since I have not checked in a few days) and I put a third deep on top where I feed, plus several frames of gnarly comb for them to repair and a few naked frames I hope they will start new comb on prior to the flyback split.

Well the hoped-for swarm on my front steps didn't materialize. .....
    Yet - very much possible.
    Last year I had a trap being scouted for a month non-stop - before some swarm moved in (no idea if the original scouts finally moved in or someone else moved in).
    This year they scouted my back porch trap for ~2 weeks non-stop - then moved into a competing trap (at my other location).
    So this can drag on for days and weeks...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast